$600 for 6 channels of preamps

Garak

I'm looking to pickup some better preamps, right now I just have my old behringer POS mixer. I'm looking to pickup 6 channels and spend around $600 tops. I've been looking at maybe getting 3 DMP3 that would be my budget there. Or I was also thinking of getting 2 cheap audio buddys and getting two channels of really good preamps. Basicly I want to have enough channels to record drums with my Delta 1010LT (which already has two ok preamps built in) and have two really good channels for tracking vocals, accustic gtrs, overheads, etc...

My mics include a Beta52, 5 SM-57's, 2 Beta57A, and SP C1. I'm also going to pickup a pair of MXL-603s soon and I have access to many other mics at work(a live audio company) and at my friends place :P(Including MD-421, AKG C-3000, A-T 4031, D112, RE-20)

So what preamps do you guys suggest I get?

Perhaps saving a bit more to get an FMR RNP and a couple of DMP3s or A DMP3 and a couple of Studio Projects VTB-1s.

if you go with one 2 channel pre and a few audio buddies route, get the RNP ($450.00) and use it on overheads. (great on vocals and everything else).

or... look into the digimax LT nice pre's, decent converters (better than a digi 001) and its "8 channels" w/digital inputs to save your analog ins for other things..you can find one for around $600.00

I like the Sytek 4 channel pre at around $800.00 but thats a tad bit out of your range plus its only 4 channels.

good luck

maybe

as a budget alternative look into one or two used folio notepads
- pretty decent pre's plus say a couple of vtb1's. or dmp3.
i know i'll get flamed but i hear the new behringer mic 100
is pretty good for budget work. the fmr rnp is certainly a very good piece of kit.
if you want to save up awhile. i hear sebatron is very good as well. or look on the web and build your own high end preamp.
jensen is a site to check out,

Back