$60 Snare

Got a cheap noname steel snare 6,5"x14".
Recorded a short clip. What do you think?

Attachments

• 60 bucks steel snare.mp3
    236.3 KB
I bought an entire drum set (probably from the 70s) for $50. I used it on some songs. ANYTHING can work, if you make it work.

I've gotten in trouble for saying this, usually because some people feel if you don't have the best, you can't make anything worthwhile. Which isn't true. A good song can overcome most anything. DO THE BEST YOU CAN WITH WHAT YOU HAVE.

I had a $25 no name steel snare and thought it was totally decent. Later I went out of my way to get an old Tama Swingstar/Imperialstar seamless steel snare, which shared the basic shell construction (differing hoops, lugs, number of lugs, and hardware) and that was great too.

Sounds good to me.

ANYTHING can work, if you make it work.
If any statement summed up my philosophy to recording, it would be this one.
I've gotten in trouble for saying this, usually because some people feel if you don't have the best, you can't make anything worthwhile. Which isn't true. A good song can overcome most anything. DO THE BEST YOU CAN WITH WHAT YOU HAVE.
If I didn't genuinely believe this, I wouldn't bother with recording. All my equipment is probably regarded as shit but it sounds cool to me !

All my equipment is probably regarded as shit but it sounds cool to me !
I believe that's all that really matters. There isn't an artist alive that has every person as a fan. Imagine if someone came around that 10% of the world population said "That's Magnificent". It would be a miracle. Music is one part of the success equation. Promoting/Marketing is the bigger part. That's where most fail. In my 20s and 30s, I pegged many artists for stardom, and I was always right. The last 5 - 6 bands I've followed, their music is just as good, and in some points better than the mega stars from my youth. They just didn't have "it" or something that pushed them over the edge.

In the unfair category Slade has to have top spot. They couldn't get arrested in the US. For the most part it was their looks and Holder's voice. Yet, AC/DC asked Holder to join them when Scott died. To add insult to injury, Quiet Riot took two of their UK hits, destroyed them and broke big in the US on them Cum On Feel The Noize is pure Slade.

Newer bands, that deserved to play large venues and never will.

Rilo Kiley broke up.
Jenny Lewis does alright. But, her music should be bigger than it is.
Kate Miller Heidke is brilliant, and funny, and fairly big in her home country of Australia. Americans just don't get her. Her shows in the US bring 20 people a show.
Cayetana - Mattiel - Augusta Koch will never get the fame they deserve.

The reason I put emphasis on the US, it's where artists break big monetarily.

This is one I'll never understand. Traceyanne Campbell can't write a bad pop tune. Her fantastic band had to open for Zoey Deschanel's, She and Him. She and Him are very good in the old time Patty Page way. But, Campbell's Camera Obscura are one of those magic bands. Unfortunately the lovely keyboard player died years ago of a rare form of cancer.

Yep, do your best. Have FUN, and just know if a song like this never hit big, it's not just about the music.

I've been buying cheap snares, it seems like, forever. There are decent Tamas and Pearls to be had for $100 used, and currently I have some USA keller build that sat used until I paid $99 for it, from some big drum shop that tried their hand making their own snares (they no longer do, according to my research.
Steel is cool! The Tama seamless shells got used for Imperialstar and Swingstar snares, besides being King Beat/Granstar/Mastercraft.

Back