55sh?

lookingforcool

does anyone use a shure 55sh to record often? i'm curious how it sounds...

also, does anyone know what the difference between the first one and the newer one is? other than a bunch of money and 20 years...

thanks,
pete

Definitely one of the coolest looking microphones on earth, however,
according to pro engineer Scott Dorsey, they don't sound as good as
those in the later Unidyne III series (545, SM57, etc.).

Chris

I've got a pair of the original ones. There sometimes OK on a guitar cab But they won't take as much SPL as a 57 before they start to fold over. Mine pretty much see NO service.

thanks guys...

one of the clubs my band plays at has a newer one. the other lead singer in my band uses it every time we play there. it seems to have a rather close sound to a 58 with a little more body to me. is this what i could expect from an older one, maybe?

i guess i should've put that info in my first post.

i guess what i was hoping to use it for would be for an ego boost to get a better feeling from the voice, but if the sound is crap transferred to recording, then it's not worth it.

TrackRat - are you thinking about maybe selling one of em?

thanks,
pete.

I don't sell, only aquire.:D
The new ones have modern inerds and are nothing like the originals. The new ones are very close to a 57-58 sound wise.

i had a feeling, due to your "total gear slut" comment under your screen name, but i thought i'd ask, just in case.

maybe i'll just take the plunge and hit up ebay.

they're always under a hun, and it can't hurt to try it out, though i still really want to pick up a b1. ah, the gear bug is tough.

thanks,
.pete.

Back