50MB Website Uploading?

Inspired

My website is built on-line using HTML. FreeServers.com hosts it for me, but my maximum quota is 50MB (MegaByte). I currently have two songs uploaded that I did on SONAR, which put my total at only 11.8% of the total 50MB. Well, I recently went to upload another song that instantly exceeded the allowed limit. It's too large! I knew music files were extremely large, but this is ridiculous. Did I do something wrong? The song contains about 10 or 11 tracks, and there are some effects, so I knew it was going to be a large file. Even SONAR was running kind of slow with it. What else can I do? I see sites that have several songs uploaded. How do they manage it?

Information:

I exported the song as .wma

Then I burned it using Windows Media Player. (I have to burn it in order to put it into someone else's computer that allows me to get on-line.)

Then I ripped it into a .mp3 format.

This is really frustrating. When I finished the recording with SONAR, the song's file was only 1.something MB. After I ripped it into another computer, it became 8.something MB. Supposedly this is too large of a file to upload to my website. It won't accept it. Which is ridiculous, because I have like 44MB's left to use...

Here's the exact error that FreeServers gives me: There was an error uploading a file. (exceeded quota or max file size)

I haven't exceeded my website quota, so I guess there's a maximum file size that you're allowed to upload! I did shoot a Priority Support e-mail to them to see if there's anyway around this.

Why did my file get larger after being ripped into another computer?
If I were on-line at home, and didn't have to rip the song off a CD, it would more than likely remain a 1MB file, correct?

Inspired said:
My website is built on-line using HTML. FreeServers.com hosts it for me, but my maximum quota is 50MB (MegaByte). I currently have two songs uploaded that I did on SONAR, which put my total at only 11.8% of the total 50MB. Well, I recently went to upload another song that instantly exceeded the allowed limit. It's too large! I knew music files were extremely large, but this is ridiculous. Did I do something wrong? The song contains about 10 or 11 tracks, and there are some effects, so I knew it was going to be a large file. Even SONAR was running kind of slow with it. What else can I do? I see sites that have several songs uploaded. How do they manage it?

Information:

I exported the song as .wma

Then I burned it using Windows Media Player. (I have to burn it in order to put it into someone else's computer that allows me to get on-line.)

Then I ripped it into a .mp3 format.

This is exactly why I coughed up the paltry sum of $98 a year. I now have 2GB of storage and 40GB of transfer bandwidth. And my own domain name.

HangDawg said:
This is exactly why I coughed up the paltry sum of $98 a year. I now have 2GB of storage and 40GB of transfer bandwidth. And my own domain name.

I have my own domain name with GoDaddy.com. I pay FreeServers around $39 or $40 a year to host it. The limitations are obviously starting to show up! For about the price you mentioned, I could have 1,000MB and 20GB of monthly bandwidth (whatever that means). But I still don't know if there is a maximum uploadable file size with that package. Still waiting to hear back from FreeServers...

Yep, it's time to upgrade my website package. That's where they get you. Or should I say screw you! I just found out that the above mentioned package ($95.88/year) allows me to upload 500 MB file sizes! That's more than enough. If I was on-line at home, I'm sure a lot of this could be avoided. Hmmm, pay to get on-line at home, or use the credit card to upgrade website package?...

HangDawg said:

Wow, I just realized that you have twice the amount of GB for about the same price! You got a 2-for-the-price-of-1 deal! 1GB and 20GB of bandwidth is roughly the same price at FreeServers. That's highway robbery! Who are you using?

Inspired said:
Wow, I just realized that you have twice the amount of GB for about the same price! You got a 2-for-the-price-of-1 deal! 1GB and 20GB of bandwidth is roughly the same price at FreeServers. That's highway robbery! Who are you using?

Shop around. I had 1.5GB storage and 55GB bandwidth for $5 a month - hosting prices are plummeting. I would check out http://www.webhostingtalk.com/ and try to find a RELIABLE webhost.

NL5 said:
Shop around. I had 1.5GB storage and 55GB bandwidth for $5 a month - hosting prices are plummeting. I would check out http://www.webhostingtalk.com/ and try to find a RELIABLE webhost.

It's a little too late, although I guess I could change my service. I already signed on for $7.99/month for 1,000MB and 20GB of monthly bandwidth. (I can upload files up to 500MB in size.) More than enough! Seems like I could have done a lot better judging from the prices I've seen elsewhere. Before I upgraded my site package, I was considering just uploading my songs somewhere else and linking to them on my website. I just checked out your Lightning MP3 site, and I was looking for something just like that this morning! Oh well, I've saved it in my favorites for future needs...

Back