$5000 budget

Zed10R

All,

I'm looking for a judgment call....

let's say your studio acoustics are...just ok. Lets also say that you are using MAudio BX5's...

Would you spend 5 grand on acoustic treatment....or upgrading your monitors...or split the $$ between them?

I'm a bit indecisive as it's not often i have cash to upgrade my studio...I want it to be put to the best use....

Thanks!! :cool:

$5K is a lot of acoustic treatment . . . I'd say $3K for acoustics and $2K for monitors would be about right. I mean you could hire out pro acoustic treatment in the average home theater room for $3K.

$3k is even pretty high unless you are talking about a big room and a retail treatments. You could buy enough 705 to treat most rooms for well under a grand. Then you just need some wood and cloth.

I'd have to see the room(s) and what we're dealing with. I will say that we've done a bunch of multi-room studios and only a couple of the really large ones with 5-6 rooms, separate dedicated vocal and drum booths, etc. got up anywhere close to $5k. In most 1 or 2 room studios, you can get by for a whole lot less.

If you'd like to send your layout to Glenn or I, we'll be happy to take a look and give you an idea of what you're looking at.

Bryan

If you were going DIY on a one room studio it would be more like $250 for room treatment. A bale of 703 costs about $175 and frames and cloth arent THAT expensive. Wilesly used one bale of 703 should tame just about any room.

Innovations said:
If you were going DIY on a one room studio it would be more like $250 for room treatment. A bale of 703 costs about $175 and frames and cloth arent THAT expensive. Wilesly used one bale of 703 should tame just about any room.

Exactly. Sure if you're going to buy RealTraps or suchlike it'll be much more expensive but you can do wonders with a few hours research, basic common sense and a half-decent DIY ability.

Have a look at the link in my signature about building DIY broadband absorbers. I'm currently testing them out in a studio that I work in that has a granit stone wall room, which tends to be a bit to live and bright, and they've worked really well across most frequencies. I was expecting them to be not very efficient on the low end and possibly leave the room a bit BOOMY but they've worked really well!

I'm going to see if i can't get some measurement figures that make a bit of sense, however last night we were having some difficulties getting the programme to work properly :( we're using FuzzMeasure.)

Zed10R said:
All,

I'm looking for a judgment call....

let's say your studio acoustics are...just ok. Lets also say that you are using MAudio BX5's...

Would you spend 5 grand on acoustic treatment....or upgrading your monitors...or split the $$ between them?

On the monitoring side, the biggest bang for the buck might be to add a good subwoofer. The Blue Sky Sub 12, as just one example, is about $600 and is designed to be integrated with typical satellite systems as well as with their own satellites.

Cheers,

Otto

Back