5.1 Mixing

SS454

Anybody here ever mix in surround?
I got to do a pseudo surround thing once. Just routing each channel of a DA-88 to a buss, then sending the buss to each Genelec monitor. I have to say, it was difficult to find a way to mix, but it was a lot of fun. I wonder if this will ever come around for music. There is no standard mixing for 5.1 is there? Do you mix from the band's perpective, the audience's perspective, or something new all together?

dvd-a/sacd

apparently the next audio format will be encoded in 5.1 surround sound. You have a choice of either 192k in stereo or 96k in 5.1 surround. can't wait to hear it..

dlv

"There is no standard mixing for 5.1 is there? Do you mix from the band's perpective, the audience's perspective, or something new all together?"

Anwer: YES.

Like the saying goes, "The wonderful thing about standards is that there are SOOOO many of them..."

I've been looking into surround also, thinking about audio for video, film, etc - boy, what a can of worms! You've got quad, 5.1, 6.1, 7.1, 9.1, 10.2, DTS, AC-3, DVD-A, SACD, DSD, (not a surround format, but a whole new encoding scheme) Of all those, 5.1 seems to be the only one even close to a stable standard, and even then nobody's sure whether to mix from a conductor's standpoint, or the first violin, or the audience, or....

I'm so far only sure that I'm NOT sure of ANYTHING... Steve

"There is no standard mixing for 5.1 is there? Do you mix from the band's perpective, the audience's perspective, or something new all together?"

Anwer: YES.

Like the saying goes, "The wonderful thing about standards is that there are SOOOO many of them..."

I've been looking into surround also, thinking about audio for video, film, etc - boy, what a can of worms! You've got quad, 5.1, 6.1, 7.1, 9.1, 10.2, DTS, AC-3, DVD-A, SACD, DSD, (not a surround format, but a whole new encoding scheme) Of all those, 5.1 seems to be the only one even close to a stable standard, and even then nobody's sure whether to mix from a conductor's standpoint, or the first violin, or the audience, or....

Since the max bitrate off a DVD (this week) is about 9 Megabits/second, you have to make choices on audio quality or having video - 5.1 encoded with video seems to be limited to 48 K at 24 bit. Don't know if there will be a speed upgrade to DVD that will allow higher bitstreams or not; the way things go, 5 minutes after you commit the cash everything will change. Makes analog stereo look damn good.

The more I read, the more confusing it gets - I'm so far only sure that I'm NOT sure of ANYTHING... Steve

SS454 said:
Anybody here ever mix in surround?
I got to do a pseudo surround thing once. Just routing each channel of a DA-88 to a buss, then sending the buss to each Genelec monitor. I have to say, it was difficult to find a way to mix, but it was a lot of fun. I wonder if this will ever come around for music. There is no standard mixing for 5.1 is there? Do you mix from the band's perpective, the audience's perspective, or something new all together?

How do you save it? In what file format? I really want to learn!!

Back