4x12 cab grill

cellardweller

I have an ancient peavey 4x12 cab I'm hoping to be able to use.

I say "hoping" because last night at practice (first practice with this "project") it sounded like putrified pig pussy, and I'm fearing a blown speaker.

I'm heading over to scout it out in a minute, but was wondering what you guys might think the possibility/likliness of it being just the metal grill over the speakers vibrating because some of the screws to secure it are missing?:confused:

I'm hoping....

I have an ancient peavey 4x12 cab I'm hoping to be able to use.

I say "hoping" because last night at practice (first practice with this "project") it sounded like putrified pig pussy, and I'm fearing a blown speaker.

I'm heading over to scout it out in a minute, but was wondering what you guys might think the possibility/likliness of it being just the metal grill over the speakers vibrating because some of the screws to secure it are missing?:confused:

I'm hoping....

That could do it, although grille rattle and blown speaker(s) sound really different. Take the rest of the screws out and the grille off and see how it sounds. If it still sounds bad, inspect the speakers for torn cones. Push gently on each cone, applying force equally around the dust cover and feel for grabbiness or scratchiness.

That could do it, although grille rattle and blown speaker(s) sound really different. Take the rest of the screws out and the grille off and see how it sounds. If it still sounds bad, inspect the speakers for torn cones. Push gently on each cone, applying force equally around the dust cover and feel for grabbiness or scratchiness.

One other thing it could be is a wire come loose inside the baffle and in contact with a speaker cone.

Yeah, hopefully the percieved pig-vagina is in fact only from a loose grill.:eek:

Tornado and storm warnings kept me closer to home tonight, gonna check it out tomorrow....

Thanks to all.

Yeah, it seems to me that the top two in the 4x12 are blown.

Took off the grill, cranked it, and it's definitely farting-out.

I'll have to get by on a 2x12 for a looooooooooooong time before I can affort to repair/replace the 4x12.
suck...err...such is life.:(:D

One other thing it could be is a wire come loose inside the baffle and in contact with a speaker cone.
Hmmmm...so you'd have to pull the speakers out to check this, huh?

Ehh, I'll get it home and then maybe have a look-see in there.
It definitely did not move fairly easily as mentioned on this page;

http://users.conwaycorp.net/glp/index3.html

Carefully push straight down on the cone
as shown....do this a few times. If you hear a scrapping
noise or you can't move it fairly easily,
it's probably blown.

I was going to start a new thread, but the question at hand still pertains to the same combo/wannabe-extension-cab!

Basically, I have two combos.

One has blown speakers (Crate 2-12's), the other has fried guts (Ampeg w/Celestion 1-12).
The blown speakers appears to be, as well as memory serves... wired in parallel @ 8 ohms.
The other combo has a Celestion @ 8 ohms.

Simple, yes?

Only thing is, I'm not SURE the combo with the blown speakers IS @ 8 ohms.
It's solid state Crap...errr...Crate...and yes it is all I currently have at my disposal.

What if it's @ 4 ohms?
16ohms???

I had a 4x12 where some bracing inside came loose and resonated and vibrated like all hell. I thought it sounded more like putrid cow pussy myself, but my acoustics are bad in the 300-1kHz range :P :D

What if it's @ 4 ohms?
16ohms???

Just dont push your amp into a load too low. If the 2 blown speakers were wired to 4 ohms, then thats fine. The lower the load, the harder it is on the amp. Wiring speakers to TWO ohms would cause problems on most amps.

Any amp will be able to push into a single 8 ohm speaker (or cab) no problem. If it's a 4x12 or a single 6" speaker, your amp doesnt know the difference, it'll be up to you to make sure you dont push the speaker too hard. I don't know of any amp that requires a 16+ ohm load.

Back