4th mike purchase what to buy????

Bstage

I am working with a couple rappers/RnB guys over here and was interested on your guys opinions on what mikes would round out my current list... Budget upto $600 US
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Mikes.......

Marshall V67G
AKG C4000B
Shure SM-58
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Below are descriptions of the voices I work with....

Female RnB chorus (Mid, high chorus and backing vocals)
Male chorus (low nasally singing, harmonizing)
Male Rapper (low, loud, SPL pretty high)
Male Rapper (nasally mid range voice)

What mikes would you list in to add to my current setup...

Thanks,

B

Mostly vocals huh?
I have a Shure SM7 that sounds gorgeous on vocals!
A Sennheiser MD441 is a wonderful go-to vocal mike for me too.

The SM7 will run about $350
The MD 441 ... about $450 used.

Spend the rest on stands and cables.

Another sm7 vote. I got mine for about $200 on ebay a couple years ago. I've actually used it on a rap artist once, too, and it sounded great. So did an AT4033 which you may also want to consider. I think with the 4033 I snuck a 58 in behind it and mixed the two together. yeah I think that's right. It was rich!

^^^^

SubA said:
Another sm7 vote. I got mine for about $200 on ebay a couple years ago. I've actually used it on a rap artist once, too, and it sounded great. So did an AT4033 which you may also want to consider. I think with the 4033 I snuck a 58 in behind it and mixed the two together. yeah I think that's right. It was rich!

Double miking..... Ya... Im feeling that technique... I might try that with guitar miking too...

Sound like the SM7 is the top celeb so far.... Is the version B that much better or even worth the extra dough????

The Shure SM-7 is a great mic... if you can dig up a little more money you also might want to audtion the Shure KSM44.

Re: ^^^^

Bstage said:
...Sound like the SM7 is the top celeb so far.... Is the version B that much better or even worth the extra dough????
The SM7B is the newer version of the vintage/classic SM7.

"The Model SM7B is a dynamic microphone with a very smooth, flat, wide-range frequency response. It is meticulously designed for the most exacting music and speech requirements in professional audio applications. The cartridge has been updated from the original SM7 with improved shielding against electromagnetic hum generated by computer monitors, neon lights, and other electrical devices."

And then there's this:
http://www.shure.com/pdf/userguides/guides_wiredmics/sm7b.pdf

I actually have two SM7's, not the "B" versions, but its essentially the same mic. If anything, the "B" version should cost you less.
It goes for $399 at 8thstreet.com

The SM-7 might be one of the top 10 vocal mics in existance. It just works well for anything on just about any type of voice.

Back