488 - No sound. Help!!!

Teach

OK....just got a used 488 and am following instructions to the letter for mixing and recording and am still not getting anything. Was using an SM-58 mic with XLR and an adaptor to plug into the machine (it only takes 1/4"). Borrowed a hi-Z mic/cord and plugged it in....still nothing. Any ideas on troubleshooting?

(I can play a tape and hear through the earphones and see the sound levels on the LCD.....although the 1/4" plug for the earphones needs a little "wiggle" sometime to make a good connection. Tried that with the mic, but no luck still.)

Hi, Teach;
I've got a 488 MkII, so I'll try to help.
First, make sure the tape selector switch is in the safe mode and the group monitor switches for the tracks you wish to hear are selected. Next, move your track AND master faders up to 7-8 and hit "play". Make sure that all of the tape cue knobs are turned full left (off). Hopefully, you'll hear something. If it's any comfort, I bought my songwriting partner a used 488 and I had to have the earphone jack replaced. Altogether, it cost about $50-60, including parts & labor at a local repair shop (which, IMHO, was pretty fair). Anyway, I hope this has helped and, if you need any more, feel free to e-mail me and I'll do my best, okay?

chipper

Thanks Chipper! - I think I was doing all that correctly. I did have time today to stop by a friend's business and he couldn't get any input either. I bought the thing via ebay, so have written the seller to see what he wants to do about it. We'll see.... I just want to be sure it's not me messing up. I mean, if I'm just not doing something right, that can be fixed easily. But, if the machine is broken, I need someone to tell me what needs to be fixed, how much it would cost, etc.

Thanks again!

Back