44k,48k, 88k, 96K?

Gabriel_0

So what really is the difference in these sample rates? Does higher sample rate improve recording and sound or is it just basically used for live use?

I'm usig the presonus Firebox with Sonar HS 6XL with Guitar Rig 2
Windows XP SP2
Duo Core motherboard
AMD 64 3700+
1 Gig ram
Axiom 61 MIDI kybrd

Higher sample rate = higher possible badwidth. You can record higher frequencies with a higher sampling rate, assuming the analog electronics before the convertor will pass them.
Sound has to be bandwidth limited before being converted to digital, otherwise alaising will occur and sound bad. Higher sampling rates also allow for less drastic filters to be used for limiting the bandwidth. Audio recorded at 44.1k has to be filtered really close to the audible range, which is tuff to do transparently. Normal audio recorded at something like 88.2k has the filters well above the audible range, so there will be less detrimental effects from the conversion. To me, there is more difference between 16 bit and 24 bit, than there is between 44.1k and 96k.

Remember that doubling your sample rate may HALF the number of tracks and plugs that you can run before your computer chokes. More data = higher bandwidth. Plus it'll eat up much more disk space.

Unless you're recording very soft ballads or classical music, lock it down to 24bit/44.1kHz and forgetaboutit.....

TimOBrien said:
Remember that doubling your sample rate may HALF the number of tracks and plugs that you can run before your computer chokes. More data = higher bandwidth. Plus it'll eat up much more disk space.

Unless you're recording very soft ballads or classical music, lock it down to 24bit/44.1kHz and forgetaboutit.....

Thanks for taking the time to reply Tim.

I tried out the different sample rates today and watched my cpu usage jump from 14% to 40 - 45%. After I forced my jaw back into my mouth I immediately reset it to 24bit/44.1KHz.

Advice taken whole heartedly!

If I'm recording just 1 or 2 tracks (acoustic guitar or something) I usually do 96/24-bit just cause I can.

Otherwise I do 44.1/24-bit.

96, or even 82 takes up way too much CPU with effects on the tracks. Hard drive space is less of an issue.

Back