424MkIII Help

Kefka-X

Yesterday I bought a 424MkIII (my first 4-track recorder). On top of this, I've bought a Shure Beta 57 mic, a 10ft mic cable and a microphone stand.
I thought this would be enough, but upon taking it home I found I needed a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter for the headphone jack, since it's too big for my Shure E3c earphones to fit in.
Since I can't hear any sound at this point, I didn't bother going through the step-by-step instructions in the manual (to understand the controls, you'd need to be able to hear what they do).
So I thought I should ask (since it's very difficult for me to get to places at the moment), before I go to get the 1/4" adapter - what else should I be looking at buying?

It seems to me at this point I have no way to connect the 4-track to anything. I'm hoping to make mp3s of the songs I record onto tape.
Exactly what type of cables will I need to buy to do this? I'm sure there are things I'm not thinking of, so it would be very helpful if someone who perhaps owns a 424 or something similar could help me out.
Will I have to plug two cables into the L/R ports in the back and connect those to the computer for mixing? Or can I do the stereo mixing within the 4-Track itself? Or do I need to purchase something *else* to connect to the 4-Track for this purpose (like a tape player)?

Ideally, I'd just like to be able to connect the 4-Track to the computer by whatever means, and transfer songs directly from tape to .wav or .mp3.
So specifically, what cables will I need? And being that all these ports are 1/4", will I need to buy more 1/4"-1/8" adapters, or is there some special cable you can buy that is 1/4" on one end, and 1/8" on the other?

Forgive my ignorance, but I've spent a few hours looking up this information, and I haven't been able to find the answers I'm looking for. It seems very vital to me.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me.

Kefka,

All of the outputs on the 424 are RCA type connectors. If you are going to send the output to a standard computer soundcard you will need two RCA cables and a stereo RCA to 1/8 stereo adapter.
Personally I dont like cables with permanetly fixed adapeers because it limits your connection options, but some users may feel they give a cleaner signal path by eliminating the adapter connectons. Longer cables also give you more flexability but can be a pain to organize.

You have to mixdown to another recorder, either tape deck or computer. You can go straight to .WAV on the computer but you'll need some type of recording software on the computer to do that.

You need to consider what else you may eventually hook up like external speakers as that will require more RCA cables and adapters.

I havent used the 424MKIII but the mic preamps on the 414 wernt too good. Eventually you may want to get an external Mic preamp.

shopping list

Bare essentials:
high bias cassette tape
head cleaner
Qtips
Mixdown essentials: (For computer mixdown)
y cable (two rca jacks down to 1/8" TRS)
Software such as MusicMatch jukebox
Studio essentials:
mic cables
patch cables
instrument cables
adapters of all kinds

It's good to have adapters for every unforseen circumstance, get them in duplicate. Cables alone will make you broke! Have fun...

The 424mkIII's preamps are adequate, and an external mic pre would be a waste.

Plus, it'd put another factor into the signal chain, and be one more thing to dial in, else you'll get crappy results, and/or maybe damage your 424mkIII.

I'm of the opinion, that you should use and get used to the 424mkIII, on it's own, finding out how far you can take it, or how good you can make it, before going on and buying another major piece of gear.

THe main cable you need to mix down to your computer is two male rca by male trs 1/8 stereo cable. Get the premade cable at Radio shack or a place like best buy adapters end up not working very well over time and dont make good contact , If you are going to mix to a cassette deck all you need is a regular stereo rca x rca cable.

You need high bias type II cassettes. Dont get anything longer than 45 minutes on each side.

Re: The 424mkIII's preamps are adequate, and an external mic pre would be a waste.

A Reel Person said:
I'm of the opinion, that you should use and get used to the 424mkIII, on it's own, finding out how far you can take it, or how good you can make it, before going on and buying another major piece of gear.

Thats what "eventually" means.

How is the pre going to damage the 424?

If your outboard pre is outputting too hot a signal,...

then there's the outside risk you might fry your 424mkIII's inputs.

See, the 424mkIII doesn't really have an Overload [OL] LED, the way older Portastudios did. Even though there's a gain setting procedure that's basically outlined in the book, there's still that small chance the gain staging won't be proper, and you'd risk zapping your onboard pre's.

I have heard of people blowing out their Portastudio's inputs with an outboard mic pre,... in a few cases. Just a thought. /DA

Re: If your outboard pre is outputting too hot a signal,...

A Reel Person said:
then there's the outside risk you might fry your 424mkIII's inputs.

See, the 424mkIII doesn't really have an Overload [OL] LED, the way older Portastudios did. Even though there's a gain setting procedure that's basically outlined in the book, there's still that small chance the gain staging won't be proper, and you'd risk zapping your onboard pre's.

I have heard of people blowing out their Portastudio's inputs with an outboard mic pre,... in a few cases. Just a thought. /DA

Ok, thats good to know.

Back