424 PINCH ROLLER PROBLEM

tapeop

I have a 424 Mk1. Mistakenly, I overused Caikleen on the pinch roller and now when I hit record there's a squealing sound.
Is there an easy home remedy to correct the problem or do I need to find a new pinch roller?
If yes, could someone send me a link to where I can find one? Ebay has nothing at the moment.
Thx.

I use Naphtha and Denatured to clean these. I don't know what is in the Caikleen. A clean pinch roller should not make noise as a new pinch roller will not- there has to be something going on there- the bearing of the roller might need some oil if the cleaning agent washed it all out. It depends on where the noise is coming from.

Uso Nafta e Denaturato per pulirli. Non so cosa ci sia nel Caikleen. Un rullo pressore pulito non dovrebbe fare rumore come un rullo pressore nuovo non lo farà - ci deve essere qualcosa che sta succedendo lì - il cuscinetto del rullo potrebbe aver bisogno di un po' di olio se l'agente di pulizia lo ha lavato via tutto. Dipende da dove arriva il rumore.
Hi, can pure ammonia work?

NO Ammonia is used to clean up old belt residue and I think it will dissolve the rubber. Is the rubber soft and mushy? What I do is measure the width and bearing size and diameter and go to Marian site and order up a couple of roller that size. None of them have metal bearings in them so Terry will not be able to help re-rubber it.
Go to Shop, then pick category Pinch Rollers by Size and see if he has one to match yours. I have had to take the roller out of the metal assembly but that is done on a vice with a small driver or correct size pin- the pin in a pinch roller is usually slightly conical meaning it come out one way.

Back