424 mk III / Direct Mode Question

DigitalSmigital

A slice of analog pie?
Long time reader, first time poster.

Planning out how to record my next project, I think I may need to use the direct mode on the first take. Can you use more than ch.s one through four in direct mode? Pan 5 and 6 to the buss you want? But which track would get the signal? Hmm. May have to experiment when I get there. Thanx.

I'm afraid not, my friend!

When you switch to DIRECT mode on 4-tracks, that's pretty much it. Each channel strip, 1-4, will feed directly to it's corresponding tape track, precluding using BUSS mode simultaneously. Also, input channels 5 & 6 are out of the picture when in DIRECT mode recording.

With the design architecture of the 424mkIII, DIRECT mode and BUSS mode recording are mutually exclusive, so it's either/or, but not both simultaneously.

Also, a related point, is that when switching a track/channel into DIRECT mode, it does NOT separate or mute the DIRECT signal from the BUSS, so as I just said, it's an either/or proposition, but DIRECT and BUSS mode don't work well together, simultaneously.

Am I repeating myself again, again?

Ha. Good luck & have fun.;)

It's not exactly that input channels 5 & 6 are totally out of the picture...

when recording in DIRECT mode.

On the 424mkIII, even though the recorder is set & recording in direct mode, channels 5 & 6 may be brought up on the L/R buss and monitor with everything else, however, it will not route 5/6 to tape.

And, it's not that you can't use direct and buss mode recording simultaneously, but your direct tracks will record direct from the numbered input, and tracks set to buss mode recording would pick up an uneven mishmash of all the channels on the buss, 1-6, including your direct channels.

In other words, not to repeat myself too much, but on the 424mkIII there's no facility for muting the direct-mode channels from the L/R buss. Therefore, plan as you may, but using direct mode and buss mode recording simultaneosly would not necessarily yield your optimum signal routing or proper isolation of tracks or inputs.

For doing what I think you had envisioned, signal routing-wise, you're in 246-ville, with it's 6 inputs independently routing to any of 4-BUSSES. The 246's 4-buss operation is a superior mixer solution to what the 424mkIII offers in DIRECT or 2-BUSS recording.

In your case,... assuming a bit at this point,... you may want to get a 4-buss outboard mixer with 8 inputs, like the Tascam M30 or 300 series mixer, with which you may route any of 8 or more inputs to 4-busses, AND THEN patch the 4-BUSS OUTS of the M30 to the 424mkIII's INPUTS 1-4, and record in DIRECT MODE. With an M30 and 424mkIII, as described, you're accomplishing what the 246 does in one package.

Just some afterthoughts and advice. I don't wanna seem like I'm upselling you. Good luck.;)

I was making reference in another post to the very same enticing possibilites that Reel points out by implementing a unit such as the M-30 (Or 300 series!) with a cassette multitrack and for what you can find these boards for it's a no brainer to me now.
(The last thing on earth I like to hear is "Well If you just buy more...", but man, thinking back to how I used be up all night planning out insane live mix routing scenarios compared to the ease of the 8 or 12 channel 4 buss option, man oh man!
You can't see, but I'm kicking myself for mixerless ulcers from days gone by!)

(Of course) Ultimatly you'll have to decide if it's right for you, but personally I swear to the good lord above I wish I had had Reel (and another fantasic member here by the name of 'Ghost of FM') around to explain it to me years ago for use with my Tascam Porta Two... It would have added years to my life!)

BTW- Congrats on taking the 1st post plunge and welcome to the bbs.

:)

BillyFurnett said:
I was making reference in another post to the very same enticing possibilites that Reel points out by implementing a unit such as the M-30 (Or 300 series!) with a cassette multitrack and for what you can find these boards for it's a no brainer to me now.

BTW- Congrats on taking the 1st post plunge and welcome to the bbs.

:)

Sure is a lot easier to use a mixer than it is bouncing tracks externally all day to fit everything on four tracks. We used the Carvin (stereo) PA head to do just that, and the project is going well.
Thanks to my new friends ARP & BillyF.

Back