42 string guitar?

muttley600 said:
I know how and where it was built, I have also met the luthier in question. I have built guitars with up to three necks. I also know that physics is physics and there is NOT 1000lbs of force on that soundboard. Period ;)

ok, but if the total tension of the strings is 1000 lbs and the strings are all attached to and strung across the instrument one way or another there is 1000 lbs of tension on the instrument, maybe just not all on the soundboard.

that has nothing to do with physics but logic.

faderbug said:
ok, but if the total tension of the strings is 1000 lbs and the strings are all attached to and strung across the instrument one way or another there is 1000 lbs of tension on the instrument, maybe just not all on the soundboard.

Physics has nothing to do with logic, I found that out my freshman year. I don't care how much pressure there is, if something breaks and it hits you, you're gonna feel it.

muttley600 said:
I know how and where it was built, I have also met the luthier in question. I have built guitars with up to three necks. I also know that physics is physics and there is NOT 1000lbs of force on that soundboard. Period ;)

Grain of salt. ;)

faderbug said:

Yeh if the ballpark figure works out at 1000lbs of force then a lot of it is spread over the whole body in different ways. Typically two common things happen to a guitar under the pull of the strings. The neck joint takes the lion share along with the bridge and plate. The neck ends up needing a reset and the bridge pulls forward bellying the soundboard. That why I say that those are the areas that would get my attention if I was attempting to build something similar. Thats not to say I wouldn't carefully consider the bracing but I would also want to be sure that it didn't end up acoustically "dead". Twenty years ago I tried to build with the soundboard as light as possible and just able to take the strain. Mistake, you need some stiffness there to make the thing work correctly. There are also some quite hefty end blocks in there doing a lot of work to keep the thing rigid. My original point was only that even with a 1000lbs of force it is still quite possible to build a good well balanced instrument as the top isn't doing everything to support it.

I think we're agreed that it's pretty damned cool. I was expecting a lot of those strings to be resonant, but Metheny proved me wrong!

faderbug said:
pat matheny playing the guitar a waste of time??? you little prick.

and you can neg rep me for that.

No. The 1000+ hours it took to design & build a ridiculous guitar with limited use. That's a waste of time.

I'm not easily impressed, I suppose.

And no, I will not neg rep you. Say what you will, you little prick. :D

VomitHatSteve said:
Yeah but in the same way that all musical effort and artistic expression is a waste of time.

Touche.

Interestingly, Firefox red lines 'touche' to indicate a misspelling. It's #1 suggestion? Douche.

In all honesty, I can't really be bothered to pull up the character map to figure out how to replace the 'e' with an emphatic 'e'.

Cheers.

invisiblenemies said:
What a waste of time.
Well, for a waste of time (i.e. building one), a lot of people sure seem interested in it. Personally, I'd love to have one.
I'd also like to hear Vai or Satch or Page play it.

Back