4 speaker mxing

jimmychan

OK, bear in mind that i'm quite a novice at mixing:

I'm a big fan of the flaming lips. a while back they did an album, Zaireeka, that involves 4 cds that are meant to be played simultaneously meaning you get kind of 8 speaker surround sound.

so i thought i'd experiment, but have a go at a 2 cd thing, meaning rudimentary 4 speaker surround, i.e. front L and R, back L and R. it's not going to be very musical, but i figure i can learn a lot about mixing and stuff. i'm doing this on cubase on two speakers, so it takes a lot of planning what's going front and back. but then i get to the problem of relative levels between the two. which is where i can maybe get some advice from you good people.

what it comes down to is: if you take a sound, a pure sine, for example, that is synthesised at -6db from soundforge. play it out of total left speaker it sounds just so. stick the same sound out of right speaker at the same time, you have to reduce both by 3db so -9db is coming out of both speakers, giving the same overall loudness - i learnt this from a rudimentary psychology of hearing module that reduction by 3db means a half in perceived loudness, so one sound source at xdb is the same as x-3db coming from two sources.

so: if the same sound is coming from four speakers, am i right in thinking i need to reduce all four sound sources by 12db - 4x3 - in order to get the same apparent loudness overall. i'm asking for some advice - or some pointers towards websites/books that deal with this stuff - because in order to test this thing out i need to mix 2cdrs - front and back, to test it out, and to continually keep doing so would be pretty expensive overall.

any thoughts, advice, or pointers would be greatly appreciated. especially if someone tells me that to start such a project is a bit stupid since i've not done much in the past :-

cheers

jimmychan said:
O i learnt this from a rudimentary psychology of hearing module that reduction by 3db means a half in perceived loudness, so one sound source at xdb is the same as x-3db coming from two sources.
That must've been a VERY rudimentary course, because you neglected the fact that the levels are completely frequency-dependent... that is if you truly are talking about perceived loudness, which involves the "weight" certain frequencies have over others to human ears.

AS far as 4-speaker mixing goes - if you're a novice, you're going to have plenty of a learning curve just getting a 2-track mix done right...!

You've got to crawl before you can walk.........!

If you really want four channel sound, better try 5.1 mixing, Hope cubase has a plugin for that. But you need to have a 5.1 handling sound card and monitoring system. Good Luck.

jimmychan said:
I'm a big fan of the flaming lips.

Completely off-topic but I wanted to say something about the Lips because they are a local band in my area (Oklahoma City). In fact, I used to live a couple blocks from Wayne (the singer). He still lives in the same old house he's lived in for years-- even after the Grammy! Their music is truly original.

Did you see the Austin City Limits show a few months back when the Lips were the backing band for Beck? It was a great show. I'd like to see those guys hook-up and make a CD.

Anyway, just wanted to show my support for the Lips. It's rare for an Oklahoma band to make it big-- especially in the rock/alternative genre. We have tons of country music stars around here but I don't like country music (I get tired of seeing Garth Brooks blvd. and Toby Keith blvd. street signs).

The Lips rock!

Re: Re: 4 speaker mxing

Scottgman said:
Completely off-topic but I wanted to say something about the Lips because they are a local band in my area (Oklahoma City). In fact, I used to live a couple blocks from Wayne (the singer). He still lives in the same old house he's lived in for years-- even after the Grammy! Their music is truly original.

Did you see the Austin City Limits show a few months back when the Lips were the backing band for Beck? It was a great show. I'd like to see those guys hook-up and make a CD.

Anyway, just wanted to show my support for the Lips. It's rare for an Oklahoma band to make it big-- especially in the rock/alternative genre. We have tons of country music stars around here but I don't like country music (I get tired of seeing Garth Brooks blvd. and Toby Keith blvd. street signs).

The Lips rock!

I saw them in Fort Worth with Beck, yea that show rocked.

Back