4-pin rewire to 3-pin?

Neito

Pouty-face
I posted this in Studio Building because there's no DIY thread (YET) but I figured I might as well post it here, too.
So, I bought a $10 mic from eBay. It's an EV Slimair 636. I haven't heard anything about it, but seeing as it was $10 I'm not expecting much. However, I can't use it yet because the connector is a 4-pin. Now I think I read somewhere on the web that the 4 pin connector is actually two different impedances, one Hi-z and one Low-z. So I got out my multimeter and took some measurements. Pins 1 and 2 are 1.36 kOhms, and 3 and 4 are about 150 Ohms. If I wanted to exchange the jack on the mic for a 3-pin, should I just solder the low-Z wires (checking polatiry, etc. of course) to the corresponding pins on a fem. XLR, or are there other changes that I should make? Am I approaching it totally wrong?
I guess I should mention that it's a dynamic mic. I can include pics if you need me too. Thanks a lot.

4 pin connector

Do you have one of the four pin male connectors for the mic( my EV 676 has a female output that requires a special Amphenol I think, connector)? If you have one of those, you wire the shield to pin 1, the cold to pin 4, and for Lo-Z, wire the hot to pin 3; for Hi-Z, wire the hot to pin 2. I suppose you could rig something else, but If you can find one of those connectors, that would be the easiest way to do it. I do have some problems making a good solder joint to the pins, you have to get the wire stuffed inside the pin, the solder it in there, mine never want to stick. If you do some looking, you can find one of those connectors, I found one in a mystery box at Urban Ore recently. Good luck. I've been interested in trying out that mic myself.

Wow, thanks a lot! That answered all of my questions right away. If I can't find one of the 4-pin males, do you think I could just replace the mic's connector with a 3-pin xlr, or would it be easiest to just track down a 4-pin?

seems like tracking down the four pin connector would be a better idea, I probably wouldn't have the guts to crack open a mic, but I guess if you can't find one...

Hey neito, the EV mic that you have, is it a long shotgun type microphone? I too have an EV mic with 4 pins that I paid $10 for at a yard sale. Did you wire it up XLR? How dose it sound?

Thanks DJ Boudreaux

Google "Amphenol 91-MC4F".

That's the one on the 664 and others from EV. It's probably the one on that mic (hey, I had one of those!) but there is a smaller Amphenol 4-pin connector used on some mics. You should be able to narrow it down to the right connector by looking at the pics.

Back