3rd mix: "On your Way", with forum help

GONZO-X

Dropbox - on your way_3.wav

ok, after last post, and a bunch of great suggestions, i've done a more aggressive mix here,
some tricks, some simple mix changes, what do you think of this version?
if you want to know what i've done, please ask, but i think it's better to just hear it first, without any preconceptions, because i know i trick myself with that sometimes.

Opening guitars sound better - still bouncing R to L and back, but better sounding. Not weak. I do think the lead vocal could come up 1 or 2 dB - it seems to be even with the music, not up front in most areas. Could be my headphones, IDK.

Opening guitars sound better - still bouncing R to L and back, but better sounding. Not weak. I do think the lead vocal could come up 1 or 2 dB - it seems to be even with the music, not up front in most areas. Could be my headphones, IDK.

hey spantini!

thanks for listening and commenting.....

that left right guitar dominance is by design...
i like to favor one part or the other, to add some interest and dynamics,
seems like when i put them both up together at same volume, they are too similar, but not exact,
and i don't get that play between them i'm looking for.

the vox level, yep, different systems, different playback, different levels, it changes the vox mix at every consideration.
it's tricky settling on a level that seems to work best on all,
but my personal feeling is that i don't like any vocals super upfront,
makes them sound like they are just floating on top of a backing track,
which doesn't make it sound like a band.

some of my favorite classic rock recordings have the vox almost beneath the music (depends on the song of course) but totally works...

Back