388 song

I havent listened to it through monitors, but it sounds good on my computer speakers. Very 388! I would work on the snare, seems a little boxey. Bass seems good. Keep it up!

Bigsnake00 said:
oh yeah! what interface are you using to get it to the computer?

Balanced xlr out on the 388->E-mu 1212m trs in. Nothing too fancy. I hope I'm not losing too much going through that card.

My future plan is mixing to tape and taking the pc out of the equation.

I think you did a good job here. My two little things are I would like to hear the snare turned down a little
And if you have the cords to try next time see what it sounds like using unbalanced cables to your computer instead of balanced.
Could you tell us more about the signal chain like what the mics where?
Good job.
Now you have made me want to go hook my 388 up :)

Whoa, this one came out of the cellar. This was my maiden voyage with the 388, and I think I was driving the levels too high. I used 57 on snare into an rca ba31 pre, kick was d112 into the tascam, overhead was a rode nt1 through an Ampex mx-10. Now that I listen back, I recall using a low quality mp3 conversion rate which would explain the swooshy ride.

Thanks,

Ryan

Last edited:
I like the whole vibe of the song. It's really cool. Well done.

Although you may be right that you ran the levels too hot, cause I hear dbx errors a bit.

Thanks for the listen Daniel.

I didn't use dbx so the errors were probably from running too far into the red.

I'm a little red in the face seeing this bumped up after six months. I've learned to use the 388 a bit better since then, and I definitely still stand by my belief in it's usefullness.

...or perhaps it was the mp3 encoding (errors) as you said. ;)

Yeah, the 388 is a great unit and, if nothing else, the mixer section is a major selling point, at least! :D

I personally am not a fan of tracking at max levels. I don't like the "effect". I prefer to stay below 0db, whether I'm using dbx or not. ;)

Sounds very 388-ish!

It's giving me a big "Who's Tommy" vibe, totally.

Tommy, can you hear me? Tommy? Tommy? :eek: :eek:

PS: That is truly the 388 sound. I have a few good examples of 388 sound quality if you search them out, (hint, hint). Superbeatballer's 388 example is awesome, though. It's right in the pocket, IMO. Sweet. 388's sound sweet like that, alright.

Dave,

I'm glad you included some of my all time favs: GOD and LOVE ME DO!

Always a big fan,

Daniel :) ;)

Ok since everyone else is playing 388 songs here is one I started untill I got into the new house and moving mode.
I am playing bass and drums and the keyboard part at the biginning of the song oh and a real poor scratch vocal in the back ground.
I dont know if I am going to get to finish this song or not cause I lost my guitar player. This was just the biginng of putting the song together and figuring things out.
Chain was single Mxl 603 over head and a atm 25 on kick. Sm57 on guitar,
Bass played direct. I did a quick mix into my tascam 22-2 1/2 track this morning and played that into my delta 44 sound card.
Anyway dont laugh, The song is green eyed lady by sugar loaf.
Oh and the tape used on both machines was 407 Q.

Last edited:
Dave,

your music sounds damn good. I can't figure out how you squeeze so much high end out of 7 1/2 i.p.s.

Btw, I went through your catalog and didn't see any Beach Boys. Will you ever take a crack at Pet Sounds?

Ryan

Gosh, thanx! The 388's a great unit in my book, but...

the nearly 25 years experience I have in recording/mixing doesn't come included in the box!

Specifically,... I spend adequate time on the "front end" (input-side) of the process, where I take care in mic placement, preamp gain and EQ to taste. When I have the sounds "optimized" I press the red button and commit it to tape. On remix, more often than not it's a straight stereo Monitor Mix output with no eq, no efx, no ups & no extras. Just "Gain" & "Pan",... and it's a wrap!

Of course I'm proud of my own "experimental" home recordings. I feel a certain sense of pride over & above that it's just a creation that speaks for itself, but more,... that this is the authentic sound I've gotten printed down to tape through use of the standard tools, my ears & mixing skill. The final mix is simply a playback of the tape, in as-is condition, with nothing done or added at mixdown,... (IMO: none necessary).

It's a main theme of my recording "philosophy" that if you get thing right on the "input-side", then it should need minimal or no "tweaking" on the "output-side" (remix). These recordings go a long way in illustrating my point about that. :eek: ;)

PS: Thanx for listening!

Last edited:
Back