388 and preamps

new388

Hello again, don't have the chance to come here often but love reading through the threads when I can.

Ok, concerning my newly acquired 388. I've been told some conflicting things about the preamps. I have read that the preamps in the 388 are of good quality and thus should feel no need to upgrade. Then again I've been told a modern day preamp can give me much better quality, especially for vocals and acoustic instruments. What do you 388 users advise? Will buying a "decent" preamp improve my already good quality recordings? or not worth it? and if so any recommendations? Also, how do I bypass the preamps in the 388? just turn the trim down?

Thanks much!

If you are talking about a Tascam 388 reel-to-reel... the pre amps are fine. I had one. I miss it. Acoustic recordings (guitar and vox) via a 414 and sm57 were outstanding. I thought they were alittle on the warm side of neutral which gave a nice smooth sound from top to bottom.

If you're not talking about a Tascam 388 reel-to-reel then disregard my post. :)

Back