388 and 38

Instroverb

Hey Dave, I was wondering if you could, again, explain for me and any newcomers how to use the 388 and 38 with the M1B. I am hazy on where the M1B fits in. Do you connect it to the pgm outs and then back to pgm ins.

Thanks a bunch!!:D

I understand the hook up for recording. I am just wondering how you route the 38 back to the 388 for mixdown. Anyone can answere.:D

My friend,...

sorry for not picking up on this earlier.

As I see it,...
Connect the 388's PGM-Outs to the 38's Inputs.
Connect the 38's Outputs to the M-1B's inputs.
Connect the M-1B's foldback line outputs to the 388's Line-Ins (1/4").
Use the 388 for input mixing to pgm busses, to the 38 for tracking.
Use the M-1B as Cue Monitor when overdubbing.
For mixdown from the 38, switch the 388's Input Select to LINE.

Hint: NEVER, ever, ever switch the 388's Input Select to LINE while simultaneously having the 38 in REC-READY (or REC) mode, or you WILL get a NASTY FEEDBACK LOOP!

Hint 2: Please think of me when you do!:eek:;)

Thanks, Dave!

That is what I thought. I guess I was kinda hoping you had a more full proof method for overcoming human error. As you may remember, I fried my other 38 doing that exact thing!!:eek:

Wow.

As a fail-safe and extra step that emphasizes isolation, (also a mental cue), would be to leave the 1/4" line plugs unplugged from the sockets until transitioning in a deliberate move to mixdown. It's a little more cumbersome, and would be inconvenient for quick switching and "check" mixes.

I'd just say beyond that you could use a matched or suitable recording mixer for the 388, that has a dedicated cue section and tape returns. [But then it's not a 38-388-M1B 3-piece solution].

See,... detail over and over a specific sequence that should be follow, and there's always that quick, inadvertent slip up,... human error. Then,... shriek/pow!

Of course, I've never blown any equipment with any of the feedback loops I've ever had,... but certainly zapped my ears! The momentary or prolonged feedback can easily blow circuits, too. (Obvious point).:eek:;)

---------
4th choice: use the 388 for inputs/eq/efx and bussing to the 38. Use the M-1B as cue as described, AND THEN MIX off the M-1B directly to stereo LESS THE USE OF THE FULL EQ/AUX/EFF sends you find on the 388.

I'll vouch to a great deal I record with all my tweaks on the input side and going down to "tape", and then mix off a simple mono or 2-buss output less eq and whatever, and I usually get a satisfactory sound.

Thx again.

Last edited:
Best bet:...

Just leave the 38's output cables (RCA-to-1/4") UNPLUGGED from the 388's Line-In jacks until AFTER ALL OVERDUBBING IS DONE and making a deliberate move to mixdown.

HINT: Use the M-1B's 8x2 stereo mixdown output to a separate headphone or monitoring amp for quick check-mixes during the CUE and OVERDUB process.

HEY, SOLVED THAT ONE FOR'ya!

It's not that hard, but since LINE is between MIC and TAPE on the 388's Input Select, it's an inadvertent flip thru the LINE setting with the REC-ENABLE on the 38 that is the big downfall in this situation. It just takes a second to fry your ears when wearing phones, not to mention dangerous for the entire signal chain.

Sorry to repeat, but I'd just thought that one thru again!:eek:;)

It's easily workable by leveraging the M-1B's line mixdown capability for check mixes during overdubbing, and then plug the 1/4" connectors into the 388 for mixdown.

Thanx.

I also have a 388 and and a 38, but I don't have another mixer for a cue mix. So I pondered for a while on how to use the monitor section of the 388 for a cue mix, and decided it was not possible. Then, it came to me in the early morning, almost in a dream state! I intend to get a patchbay to really improve things, but for now it works with just two 8 channel snakes, one rca-rca, one rca-1/4". here's my approach: using the 388 mic-pre's, xlr in or line in if applicaable. SEND out's to 38 inputs--eq is still inline. 38 outputs to 388 program buss inputs. monitor outputs to monitors. to use the monitor section for overdubbing, arm the tracks on the 388 and the signal flows through the monitor section. for mixdown, repatch 38 outputs to line-in of 388. this works well, though it is possible to get a feedback loop if tracks are armed on the 38 (blinking) and you are monitoring through speakers in the room with hot mic's. I am just glad that it is possible to do this, and in practice it is straightforward. anyone else use this approach?

The single most important thing to remember is to leave the 38 in "REPRO" mode, and not "SYNC". SYNC will possibly result in a feedback loop and won't do nice things to the circuitry of the 388. I got lucky and saved my 388 once I made that horrid mistake.

Can someone explain how this set-up is being used? Is the 388 just using the mixer and feeding it into the 38 for actual recording? What is the M-1B?

Just curious....thanks.

Back