32 channel Mixer

KamikazeKyle

Sound Junkie
I've been debating buying the Mackie SR32-8 as a recording board. How would I go about interfacing it with a computer to where I have all 32 inputs in and 32 out back into the board for mixing. I would like to be able to do this using pro tools LE over HD being that I don't have the money for and HD rig. Would an older 888 work? And how would I go about setting one of these up?

you need an inline mixer to do that. I don't believe that the mackie is in line. You would be stuck to pulling the mics/inputs and replacing them with your output lines when you are ready to mix down.

I could be totally off base here but I think this is what you are asking....

Do some research on the Mackie 8-buss before taking the leap. Mackie discontinued them for a reason: poor reliability.

I understand the mixer can be entirely recabled to get rid of the problem, but you have to understand the expense of doing this, and if it is worth it.

KamikazeKyle said:
Can you clarify for me what exactly and inline mixer is?

It basically has two inputs per channel. One for the source of what you are recording, and the other is for your playback.

Are you needing 32 channels for recording and 32 for playback? I usually get by with 8-10 for recording. I mix in the box though so I am not worried about running back into the board.

Yeah I'm looking for 32 out of the board and 32 back in so that I can change levels on the board. I get annoyed easily when mixing in the box it doesn't "feel" natural.

Correction its not an SR32 thats the four buss model its just the 32-8.

So you want to run 32 channels in and out of PT LE at the same time? That is going to get pricy if you can even do it with LE.

You only have 8 channels of analoge I/O on the 888
http://www.digidesign.com/support/propix/888io.html

With the 002 you still only have 8 but you can get an adat converter maybe and get another 8 plus the 4 pres. No matter what you're still only at 18 channels.
http://www.digidesign.com/products/le/basics/

If you really want 32 channels look into HD or another software program and other converters.

Why do you even need a computer if you are going to run in the board? Just get an Alesis HD24.. Problems solved.

All the Mackie 8 buss consoles are "inline" consoles.

The combo of a Mackie and older 888 converters is not going to be a pretty picture though. :(

Ford Van said:
All the Mackie 8 buss consoles are "inline" consoles.

I wouldn't even call them "inline"

If you're going to use Pro Tools, to get 32 I/Os is going to be pretty expensive. The LE line won't even support up to that much, and you'll need several interfaces in either the MIX or HD format to get it to work. In otherwords, look to spend a minimum of $4000 on up (I'm just guesstimating).

You'd be better off keeping it all hardware like someone already suggested......OR, why not look into getting a control surface if all you're worried about is keeping things feeling natural.

You could possibly do it with 4 delta1010LT cards. That would give you 32 in & 32 out for $800.

I think all the delta cards will support PTLE now

Bulls Hit said:
You could possibly do it with 4 delta1010LT cards. That would give you 32 in & 32 out for $800.

I think all the delta cards will support PTLE now

unfortunately I don't think you can't use more than one Delta card with M-Powered.

bennychico11 said:
unfortunately I don't think you can't use more than one Delta card with M-Powered.

You sure about that? M-Powered will do 32 simultaneous tracks. The delta drivers will handle 4 cards. Where would the restriction be?

Bulls Hit said:
You sure about that? M-Powered will do 32 simultaneous tracks. The delta drivers will handle 4 cards. Where would the restriction be?

It's more of a Pro Tools restriction. They've never let any of their LE or M-Powered lines use more than one unit.

I read over on the Digidesign User's Conference about a guy who had 2 Delta 1010's going with M-Powered. Much to the disbelief of the rest of the forum but he did show screen images to verify.

Why do you need 32 simultaneous ins? Orchestra?

First off I want thirty channels because originally I was going to get a Midas DDA Q-series for really cheap from my work(it was originally $30,000 but after 12 years of activity as an installed FOH board it wasn't in the greatest shape) unfortunetly that all fell through and after words I couldn't think of having less then 32 channels. Also besides that most of my mixes end up being 24-40 channels large and I despise mixing in the box. Although it came to my attention that Pro Tools LE didn't support up to 32 channels. This led me to my switch to Sonar.
As I mentioned before I despise mixing in the box even though I still do. I'm currently looking at the Tascam DM-3200 since it will give me 16 pres and if I'm not mistaken 48 channels of mixing within Sonar. I have not found anyone to give me a completly positive or negative answer so if anyone has information on that.
My other question is how AD converters and DA converters could be used to interface a large format mixer. If it even would.

If your using Sonar, then 4 Delta1010LTs will give you 32 in + 32 out (analog), and another 8 preamps if you're really desperate.

The AD & DA convertors are in the Delta card. The analog input from the mixer is converted to 24 bit digital for input to Sonar. Output from Sonar is converted back to analog for the mixer

I am using the Delta 1010lt card right now (just one) with a Yamaha RM800 mixer. This is a true inline mixer with 8 buss which will allow me to record 10 tracks at a time and mix 8 analog tracks at a time. I am planning on getting another 1010lt so I can do double that but I have no need to go 32. However, if I did, I would go 2 1010lt's and this board would handle it. The down side is that Yamaha only made the board for a year because they could not compete with the cheaper Mackie boards, even though they did not have the same features as the Yamaha. The upside is that if you can find one used, they are fairly cheap. The 16 channel versions go for about $300 on ebay and the 24 are around $500. I picked mine up for $200 but I got a hell of a deal.

I don't know if that helps you at all. But it is all I know about it.

That does. I always strayed away from sound cards figureing rackmount gear would be the way to go. Although depending on if anyone ever acctually tells me what I'm curious to know about the Tascam DM-3200 I may go that route being that its slightly less expensive and I really need to take into consiederation my mic cabinent and my moniter set up.

Back