300 dollar preamp

Brad_g

whats the best preamp around $300! im probably going to buy the ART gold but is there any others that are better?

well i know its not $300 but i just picked up a DMP-3 for $160 CAN and i love it.
Are you wanting a clean pre or some color?

its mainly for vocals!
That uh... doesn't really tell us anything.

Anyway -

Another vote for the DMP3.

If you could find a used RNP that wouldn't hurt. If you're looking for something a little "warmer" sounding, the GoldenAge Pre73 would be on the list also.

Not impressed with the ART stuff...

That uh... doesn't really tell us anything.

Anyway -

Another vote for the DMP3.

If you could find a used RNP that wouldn't hurt. If you're looking for something a little "warmer" sounding, the GoldenAge Pre73 would be on the list also.

Not impressed with the ART stuff...

I don't know the DMP3 but have just spent a year using two Golden Age Pre 73s on long term review. Definitely impressed. Warm sound, clean when you want it, character when you drive the output stage with a good DI and line input section. Used in conjunction with a good compressor makes a great recording chain. Important to understand the gain structure to get the best out of it and won't break the bank.
Bear in mind of course that as with any mic or preamp it's what you put in that makes the difference.:D

Maybe you guys are talking about some cheaper ART stuff--or maybe you're talking about the MPA Gold--guess it doesn't matter, since opinions are just opinions. I just want to help the OP be clear since very often the ART MPA Gold is lumped in with some cheaper ART stuff and easily dismissed.

My ART MPA Gold wins hands down over my DMP3s. For vox and guitar (elec & acoustic). Plenty of gain, variable impedence, great sound.

I have the ART Gold. I think it was nice enough but then I got some good tubes for it. What a difference. I put a vintage Mullard on one side and a Telefunken on the other. Sweet. You can find these tubes for under $100 each. It's worth the investment.

I have a Focusrite Trakmaster Pro...works well for vocals.
I have no faith in ART products. They are notoriously noisy...not all of them, but some add noise to your signal.
I'll admit, I've never used the Gold Pre, but I'm speaking from past experiences with ART products.
I do have a powered mixer with ART effects built-in. Works fine.

The difference in ART gear like the tubethisorthat and such and the MPA,VLA,Gold MPA is night and day. They are simply completely different pieces in both quality and technology.

Its unfortunate that many relatively good pieces of gear get poor reputations without any user history to justify such rep.

Just because one piece from a company has issues doesnt mean the entire company lines do so.....though there are exceptions. As for ART. At least all their pieces, no matter how they sound, will stay together....unlike a couple of 'others' that come to mind......

I have a very old MPA myself and it still gets used for a lot of things. Changing the tubes is a big plus......The Pro Channel strip from ART is also a nice piece. The compressor is very useful and the EQ, though limited, can be just the ticket on some sources.

None of these pieces should be confused or even compared to 1K per channel mic pres.

I have a DMP3 and black lion mod Bellari MP105. I love my DMP3, but I am looking for something better for vocals. The DMP3 sounds pretty clean but a little thin, I am looking for more depth. What would be a nice upgrade for a clean preamp under $500?

FMR RNP is $500 new

GrooveTubes Brick is $400 new

if you could find either one used for your price range, you'd be way ahead of the curve.

pre's

I have the MPA Gold wit NOS tele and mullard on each channel. Can be clean can be warm depending on the plate voltage switch and user settings. I like it. However I am very interested in the Pre 73 gets ALOT of love on gearslutz. I think that will be my next purchase. There's a thread with some samples.
Ryan

If it wasnt for my Line6 UX8 Id have some interest in that pre73...Id have to collect 8 of them though to get the same sort of bang for the buck I get with the UX8.

Back