$300-$500 Acoustic Amp?????

Moonis29

I have a Yamaha FG700S Acoustic Guitar (Elixir Nanoweb Custom Light Strings) with an LR Baggs Para Acoustic Preamp, and an LR Baggs M1 Soundhole Pickup.. all hooked up to my Line 6 Toneport UX2 that I use to record on my computer. I've played for about 3 years, but have never left my room with my guitar because I focus more on recording rather than playing live. And this winter a few friends of mine asked me to come play with them at a few house parties...

I've read alot of great reviews from you guys on amps, but I'm still a little iffy on finding myself a good one! If any of that information helps that I gave you above, it would be awisome if somebody could name a couple of good brands or models in the $300-$500 price range of a nice and rich sounding Acoustic Amp.

I'm a big Dave Matthews fan.. and if any of you have watched or listened to the Dave and Tim Reynolds concert at Radio City (NYC), it would be nice to find an amp(s) that sound a little like them (even though those ones cost thousands of dollars).

Thanks guys!
-Brandon.. Bmooney86@aim.com

i use a Fender Acoustasonic Jr. 40W and i love it.

i actually run to a samson c-valve, then a sonic maximizer, then the amp, but if i go somewhere ill just bring the amp and it is still good. that little amp gets plenty loud too.

the effects are ok, nothing to write home about though. but the 'hall" setting turned to like 4 with a clean electric sounds absolutely amazing in my opinion.

anyways, thats my two cents

Ultrasound

I've got an Ultrasound ag-50 ds3 which I bought a while back based on reccomendations from this board. I love it. A real full sound. Not as brittle sounding as some amps.

I don't know if they make the ds3 anymore. I think it is now a ds4, but it looks about the same. It runs about $500.

The AG-30 is an even better value, but doesn't have onboard effects and is only one channel. I think you can get it for about $200.

Best bet is to take your guitar to a music store and plug it into as many acoustic amps as they have.

I would take your guitar to a music store such as Guitar Center and try out the Fender amps and SWR amps to determine the sound you like best with your guitar. Don't be fooled by price, sometimes the lower priced amps within a brand sound better than the more expensive amps.

When I was selecting an acoustic amp on a budget, I ordered the green Carvin acoustic amp to try out, knowing I could return it with a full refund, and kept it. I like it's sound. I like to use an extension speaker for the stereo effect, and it sounds good to me.

i use a Fender Acoustasonic Jr. 40W and i love it.

i actually run to a samson c-valve, then a sonic maximizer, then the amp, but if i go somewhere ill just bring the amp and it is still good. that little amp gets plenty loud too.

the effects are ok, nothing to write home about though. but the 'hall" setting turned to like 4 with a clean electric sounds absolutely amazing in my opinion.

anyways, thats my two cents

I have an Acoustasonic Junoir as well. One correction though. It's 2x40 watts, for a total of 80. And yes it does get plenty loud. I have played mine over a full drum kit with no problems.

I have an older Ultrasound AG-50D which I love. Their newer models are more versatile. Get one with 2 channels (one for a mic) if you can. You need to try out a variety of amps and see what appeals to you. There are a lot of good options these days.

I have an Acoustasonic Junoir as well. One correction though. It's 2x40 watts, for a total of 80. And yes it does get plenty loud. I have played mine over a full drum kit with no problems.

ive always wondered, so if i only am using one channel then im using 80 watts?? but if i were to plug another guitar into the second channel is each channel 40 watts?? also, if you are using both channels, does each channel get its own speaker, or are they mixed? i know its a stupid question probably, and i could get part of the answer by just getting on my hands and knees and listening hahaha to each speaker with two things going at once

Carvin stagemate - your friends can plug in mics and instruments too, and it's battery powered.
I have the one with effects which are ok.
Pretty versatile box. Use it for a monitor for your acoustic in a rock setting,
do a singer/songwriter coffee house gig, busking, etc. use it for a monitor
for your pa that doesn't have a separate monitor amp section.

Also, the Taxi amps are cool. Battery powered also. Are you sensing a theme here?
I just love not having to look for an ac outlet especially at a house
party. And when it's time to leave with the special someone you just met,
You don't have to show them your butt crack while you crawl on the floor looking for the outlet.

If you want to spend a bit more, fender passport is worth a look, esp. pd250

http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=S400carvin stagemate

After all this time of looking for a good amp, I guess I never thought about taking my own guitar down to Guitar Center to try out different amps... I'm so used to playing other guys on them, and they're all going to sound different! But I'm definatly going to go back and check out the Acoustasonic Junoir, seeing how almost every's talking about it!

Thanks alot everybody!

Back