3 songs

shookiejones

I have a few songs that were written a couple of years back and recorded on a TASCAM TSR-8.
I understand the production isn’t great – like I said it was done a while ago --back when I knew even less about recording than I do now. ;)
So there’s no need to comment on that end (production) - but if you feel the need to point something out...PLEASE DO!

My goal is to mix some newer material I’ve written with some of (what I think) to be better older songs we’ve done, and (re)record with my digital set-up.

So if you can tell me in your honest opinion:

1. If the song is worth redoing (still relevant?)
2. Is so – anything that you think should be changed – song structure wise.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/susansleepssoundlymusic.htm

Thanks for your valuable time and equally valuable opinions.

Songs are good, but seem a little monochromatic. I think they need more peaks & valleys to help the song progress and transist from verse to chorus to bridge etc. I like the concepts and lyrics very much. The third one is my favorite. The melody is catchy!

thanks.

guitarhunny said:
I like the concepts and lyrics very much. The third one is my favorite. The melody is catchy!

Thanks for your comments and input.
The third song is my favorite as well and is also the most current.

guitarhunny said:
Songs are good, but seem a little monochromatic. I think they need more peaks & valleys to help the song progress and transist from verse to chorus to bridge etc. The melody is catchy!

Do you mean from a dynamics point of view? I am big fan of dynamics and TRY to use them as much as possible. That's the main reason I want to record "consequences" again, it was done with a drum loop and the rest of the instrumentation can only provide a limited amount of ebb and flow.

thanks again for your time and opinions.

After Guitarhunny's comments i listened to Consequences...

ditch the drums... they are all wrong...

why not concentrate getting something that sounds good with just your voice and an acoustic before you try to get such a built up sound

ok let the harmonica stay - I love harmonicas

How did you record the acoustic? Did you use some kind of direct input or a mic?

So to answer your questions...

1. Is the song worth recording?.... sure... why not.
2. Should anything be changed?... Yep drop everything apart from the acoustic and the harmonica and see if you can get that sounding good first.

Thanks

H.A -

The song was originally written as an acoustic piece and we've since considered going back to that, but somewhere along the way the bass drums and electric guitars got in there --- there are still alot of elements about having a backbeat that appeal to me, but I do enjoy doing just voice and guitar.

I agree with you in this case about this particular drum loop not fitting...It was an old loop from one of our other songs. At the time we didn't have the place or the means to record drums and I wanted a more organic feel than a bad drum machine - so that's what we ended up doing.

Uhmm...the recording of the acoustic..damn that was a long time ago..but I think at the time I had a AKG C300B I think that was the mic and it was definitely mixed with a direct line as well.

All the songs if we decided (with some help from my friends here) need to be retracked recorded and as in your suggestion possibly rearranged.

And that's why I am here!

Thanks again for taking the time to listen, if anybody else wants to listen and comment, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Shookie

Back