3 mics, where to place

Jack Simpson

I just bought two more mics in addition to my one dynamic mic. They are omnidirectional's. I run them all at equal levels straight into my 4-Track. I am wanting to record drums, snare, bass, floor tom, 2 front toms, crash cymbal, and hi-hat. I am in a small room with concrete walls. Where should I place these mics in order to get the best results. Also, pillow in the bass drum or no pillow?

Okay, these aren't your dream mics, but it'll work for me...
A Kustom $40 mic (Dynamic).
(2) Radio Shack 330-3030 Omnidirectional Microphones $25 each.

I would place those mics as far away from your drums as possible. If all you have is $65 to spend get yourself 2 behringer ECM8000s for $30-35 each and use them as overheads. Depending on your room youll get a very nice natural drum sound. I highly recommend them if youre on budget or not.

That depends on what kind of drumsound you want. I recorded drums for a black metal band and they wanted very "home" and "unpro" sounding drums so I used three crappy mikes and recorded the drums in mono. For that band (and type of music the result ruled)

Keijo

Jack Simpson said:
Okay, these aren't your dream mics, but it'll work for me...
A Kustom $40 mic (Dynamic).
(2) Radio Shack 330-3030 Omnidirectional Microphones $25 each.
eeeeeeeeeek!! :eek:

Throw a couple of $100 together and at least get yourself a pair of SM57s.... with those, while it may not always sound "great", at least it won't ever "suck."

Seriously....

Bruce

Last edited:
Never mind those upper crusters and their jokes bro.....Shove the dynamic up close the the kik batter head, and use the omni's as overheads.
You may have to move the drums around the room to find where they sound best, but just remember the tone of the drumset comes from the player.....not so much the drums or mics.
hitman.
P.S. Definately a pillow in the kik....unless you're playing be-bop.

hitman is partially right....the player plays a big part in the tone of the drums...he fails to see the recording aspect of it all..it is imperitive to have a good signal chain to capture that tone......

id spend $60 on a pair of Behringer ECM8000's for overheads and $60 on a AT ATM25 PRO for the kick......$120 and you are in business......

"straight into my 4 track"
then we can start talking preamps......

I'd deffinately buy that.
We have a house kit which is miced and eq'd the same every time. The sound we get differs greatly with each drummer.

Maybe so, but I don't think any drummer would sound good on three really, really bad mics. Unless you're going for that kind of sound. He can only hit those skins so sweatly.

Since you have already spent your money, Jack, lets make the best of it.

You'll want to play with where you put that dynamic to get the best sound out of it. I'd definately use it to mic the kick. Worry about that later, though- your real challenge is going to be those omni overheads. Almost all of your kit sound needs to come from them- see why these guys are recommending better mics?

Overheads are typically panned out right and left so that your drums have a nice stereo sound. Your ticket will be to get the snare to sound like its dead center. Move those mics around and keep them the same distance from the snare until you get the best snare sound you can.

Step one down. This might take a while...but it'll be worth it.

Record a sample (yes, using only those two mics) of the drumming you'll be doing for the song- hit everything just like you would playing it live. Then put on another pot of coffee and listen to it really, really carefully.

What sounds need to be different? Are the cymbals too loud and sizzly? Do the toms sound dead? Most importantly, does the snare still sound good enough? How does the kick sound?

Here's the main point of this step: if the snare sounds good with those mics set up the way they are don't move them!! Tell the drummer to hit the cymbals more softly and live with the toms the way they are, but keep that snare sound!

If the snare doesn't cut it for you after listening for a little while, take really good notes about where those mics are before you move them. Try, try again.

Next up: The kick.

Listen to your most recent scratch recording and pay close attention to the kick. I know it doesn't sound great through those omni overheads- your only job with that dynamic mic is to somehow get the sound that is missing.

Are you getting a fair amount a beater click through the omni's? Great- try putting the dynamic on the back drum head to get some boom into that bass. If you aren't getting enough click, try micing the beater side and move the mic closer to or further from the beater to get a balance of boom and click. Perhaps better is to stick the dynamic through the hole in the back head and move it further from or closer to the place where the beater hits the front head. Record sample tracks freqeuntly and listen to them.

Move the mics first. Don't touch the EQ until you think you have the best sound you can get. If you do your job right you may not have to touch that EQ- it generally creates more problems than it solves.

Good luck! It might take more than one pot of coffee, but this is what home recording is all about! :)

And plan on recording the drums for as many songs as you can before you have to take those mics down or take down the kit. Every time you set up to record the drums the setup process will be the same and almost as long.

Chris

Back