3 mics, a preamp, and alot of luck...

Scriabin

Hello all,
I posted this a few days ago in the songwriting forum to get opinions on the song structure. Now, I'd like your thoughts on the mix and I feel its more appropriate to post here. The song is called Falling Forward, its absent of the lyrics at this point and stands as an instrumental until I finish the vocals tracks.

I'd sincerely appreciate any thoughts on the mix. I recorded all of the instruments with one Great River mp-1nv, a soundelux u195, a Josephson c42, and a Shure 57.

Thanks,
Scriabin

www.nowhereradio.com/theinks/singles

Would like to hear this with the vocal and hear how everything meshes together...it seems to be well put together...the only thing that bothers me is the bass is distractingly loud.

Thank you for the reply. It's interesting you mention that about the bass. What monitors are you using? I've listened to it mackie hr824s, event 20/20s, headphones, and 2 sets of computer speakers. In all of them the bass sits perfectly. But on a sony boombox and my sony car stereo, its much more apparent.

I'm listening on a dell computer with their "step-up" speaker system (two small speakers that look like the traditional computer speakers plus a bass (woofer?) box that is about the size of a shoe box)...Before I came to my final conclusion about the bass in your song I played a couple of MP3's by "professional" artists to see how the bass in their songs was coming through my system...I did listen on lo-fi (I'm on dial-up) and that could make a difference...you could take a song (similar in type to your own music) of your favorite professional music and play it in a sound systems to see how the bass etc. sounds in a specific system and sort of use that as a bench mark to compare with your mixes.

very nice. What is that super high freq. sound that sounds like water dripping way up there? or maybe its some string noise? At first I thought it was the coil in my subwoofer stretched out too far from the deep bass, but i heard it when i turned it way down. Ok, it's attached to something doing 16ths.

Smooth and moody. Strings and acoustic guitar are a good combo that I forgot about for some time now, i'll have to try my acoustic w/ my Alesis kbd.

Back