2nd posting

Cool

Here's another example of a song construction of music, prior to having melody and lyrics! I love this, as I stated in the other thread (How to compose), that I compose the music first, too.

Okay J. Dennis,

You now have the challenge of adding melody with lyrics to this song. Lots of potential.

What I like a lot about this piece is that it is much like a progressive rock song from YES, or Nectar.

Here's what else it needs - Synthesizer, especially in the stings/pad area, but also some cool lead sounds or other type of keyboard sounds (i.e. Rhodes piano) that would just add wonderful texture.

I had written in that other thread that lyrics will most often have to be re-worked to fit the melody that is going to be sung. Well here, is a work-in-process example of the music that might very well need to be reworked to accomodate singing expression.

At various parts of this song, I can envision a slow-down, or strummed chords that sustain, to allow a singer to do some good expression. If the guitars stay too busy, it is bad.

Keep us posted!

Last edited:
thanks for all the advice. we've been wanting to get some pad sounds and rhodes in there but since there are only 3 of us our priorities were the 2 guitars and drums. that being said i feel adding a 4th member and having a synth as well as 2 guitars would make everything too cluttered as it already sounds a bit busy and like you said that can be bad. maybe i could alternate between synth and guitar so that i could let the lead do his thing and play rhythm with the rhodes sounds in the background? that would also help create room for the vocals. we have always worked on our instrumental skills and struggled with vocals for some time. we generally just scrap songs and try to create a new song but i will take your advice and change this song around, cause i really do like some of the riffs

I like it so far.. its hard to say what else it needs really with out any vocals..

The only negative is the mix is WAY left heavy making me always want to lean around in my chair. :confused:

Back