2nd attempt at recording

Jimmymite

Just finished the instruments last night. Plan on doing vocals soon. The mix is rough but that's the basic idea. Give me thoughts and comments.

First impression is the drums are too buried, can barely hear the snare eg.
The main guits sound good but are probably too loud compared to everything else.
I would like to hear a more defined bass sound, (my continuing problem):D .

I think I would be interested in hearing a vocal line in this.
Overall good effort so far, I look forward to a final mix with vocals on this theme.

I like this song, especially the way it progresses. Very soothing. It doesn't even need vocals IMO it's just fine the way it is.
Can't give any mix comments as I have to listen through headphones.
Keep it up.

comments

Thanks for the comments. I finished up with recording guitars so they we're naturally kind of louder than anything at the end of it all. Once I get vocals on it I will try and get a better mix. The biggest problem I have is that I'm using some home stereo speakers as monitors right now. I have ordered the YSM1i's and they arrive Thursday. That will help a lot.

I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT :D This is what I want in my recording. Very Smooth And cool. Can You please tell me a brief summary of how you recording and mix this music?

I have only 1 comment. Bring up drums ;)

how i record

With this song I used Discrete Drum Samples for the drums with a sampled tambourine thrown in.

Guitar wise I used a telecaster going through a v-amp for all of the electric work.

I forgot the kind of bass I used (it's a friend's) and I went through the v-amp for that to.

I miked my takimine acoustic with an at 4050

I also used a Korg keyboard going directly into my mixer.

I pretty much just started with the fully written song and made my drum track.

From there I layed down a bass line and acoustic tracks.

Then I put down the basic electric rythym tracks. Then I just started building the sounds that I wanted through a bunch of different guitar parts. Final mix when I get vocals done is going to be a chore because there a lot of nuances to this song. Hope that answers your questions.

Cool, you just described MY setup. Sampled drums in Fruity Loops, a telecaster through a V-amp2, I just recently bought my own bass, but before that I also used a friend's, recorded through the V-amp2. I even do vocals through the damn thing.
Anyways, as I said earlier; nice song!

setup

Yeah I like this set-up. When I start my actual studio eventually I know I will have some better equipment but I know that I can make good sounding stuff with this. I think to many people on this board are a little to concerned with having the right gear rather than having a well written song with good hooks that is put together well. That's just my beginner opinion. Heck I even have a Behringer mixer.

Pretty cool. I listened to the whole thing - that's a plus right there! Nice chords. snare drum is buried.
The guitars are full-on too much of the time. V-Amp sounds good. maybe I'll have to get me one.

Tom

was that the Behringer V-amp you used? and did you use that on both the guitar and the bass? I do like your bass sound and was thinking of picking up one of those V-Amps myself...

Thanks!
Tait

cool thanks! now did i see you mention that you used it on the electric guitars as well? or were you just talking about a V amp as in a virtual amp?

Thanks

Well I'll be damned...I didn't know the Behringer Bass V-amp had guitar models too. I'm totally going to have to get that puppy. You've been happy with using that one?

by the way, where (if anywhere) did you happen to see it for around $100? I'm only seeing it for like $135 or so...

*Sorry, I'll stop bugging you after this question...thanks!

hmmmm...interesting...so did you use a bass setting with the bass then or just run the bass through a guitar amp modulator?

Back