250GB SATA (3G/sec) and 300GB IDE drive - Which for what?

dbeanerz

Should I install Windows, Apps (including music apps) etc. on the SATA (3GB/sec), and then use the 300GB IDE (7200RPM) drive for Audio file storage? Does that make the most sense? I'm assuming the faster drive should run the system files and app files...

I know there are countless threads on partitioning and all that, and I've read most, but I guess I couldnt answer a basic question like this out of those threads...any help is appreciated.

Use the faster drive for the system and recording data. Use the 2nd disk for backups and holding GHOST images of your installed system.

Neither interface is a performance slouch, but SATA-II is indeed faster.

Thanks. Windows/Recording Data on SATA, backup on the other. I might throw some of my MP3's on the other as well, but thanks for the tip.

dbeanerz said:
Should I install Windows, Apps (including music apps) etc. on the SATA (3GB/sec), and then use the 300GB IDE (7200RPM) drive for Audio file storage? Does that make the most sense? I'm assuming the faster drive should run the system files and app files...

I know there are countless threads on partitioning and all that, and I've read most, but I guess I couldnt answer a basic question like this out of those threads...any help is appreciated.

never record to the same disk you have windows+your audio app installed on. I promise you'll eventually run into problems .. especially with larger projects.. this doens tjsut apply for audio, even general computer maintenance, its good practise to keep the hard drive yoru OS is installed on relatively clean.

Back