• Just the interface, upgrade mics later

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Get good monitors and get more later

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Carrots

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters

Wilbur

Well I've scrounged all my funds together this morning, and I have $250 to get my basement studio really going, finally. For that total price, I'd like to get at least one good microphone (SP B1???) and an interface, plus cables etc...I already have a few cheap vocal mics and plenty of stands...

Suggestions from the HRF experts are welcome

Thanks, Will

Edit: I will end up getting a 2488mkII, but if you have good advice based on my previous post feel free to post. thanks again...

Last edited:
...keep an eye out for a used M-Audio Mobile Pre (like this one):
http://cgi.ebay.com/mobile-pre-usb-...|66:3|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:100

...they usually go used for less than $100 and are very good starter interfaces...I've set up some home studios for people starting out and am frequently surprised by the quality of the tracks they make with this inexpensive preamp/interface...the B1 is a good choice (make an offer for this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-STUDIO-PROJ...tZLH_DefaultDomain_0?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116) ...I'd wait on the monitors until I could get a decent pair of powered/active speakers (also used...like the M-Audio SP-B5)...watch craigslist and save on the shipping (as they tend to be heavy)...you should be able to find a pair for less than $150 used...Audacity is free and a good starter software (or go for Reaper for $50)...those items will get you up and running and will provide reasonable quality for cheap...;)

Carrots?
....TalkBass much? :D

Good advice from kidvybes....also lots of good info to be had by reading through threads, and using the search for specific questions.....good luck, and have fun!!

Carrots?
....TalkBass much? :D

Good advice from kidvybes....also lots of good info to be had by reading through threads, and using the search for specific questions.....good luck, and have fun!!

Haha, I am certainly a TB vet. as well (bassplayer_479), and have been reading HRF for quite while, which is why I came within inches of ordering a 144 and a B1 but figured I'd ask first...

Would the mobile pre be better than something like this?
http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--TASUS144

Also, B1 > 2020 instrument wise?

...IMHO, the M-Audio stuff is better than the Tascam (better mic pres, better support) but the Tascam is cool...I have setup starter systems with both but I find the M-Audio more stable and consistant...(Avid/Digidesign bought M-Audio for good reason)...also I like the SP B1 better than the 2020 as an all-around mic...very nice for the money (built by 797Audio who make some of the better Chinese mics)...;)

One last question...best 20ft XLR under 20$ from MF or ZZounds?

...don't overlook http://speakerrepair.com for cables, mics (yeah!...very good SM58 & SM57 clones...not exactly the same sound but very good...more output than originals)...cables are very decent quality...I've used both the mics and cables for live gigs without any problem...their stuff get good rep here on HR.com...

Some more ideas

Wilbur,

The M-Audio Omnistudio interface also has good pres and can be found used for around $100. I have neither this nor the mobile pre so I can't compare them. Maybe someone else here has more hands on experience with the omnistudio.

+1 on the speakerrepair.com cables.

I use Wharfedale Diamond powered monitors and I paid $200 a pair used. So this would have to come later but if you're going to spend $150 on near field monitors with 5 inch woofers you should at least consider the Wharfedales.

Now I'm going to come to the really radical suggestion. I recently bought a Zoom H4 for field recording and I'm very impressed with it. It is also a USB interface and it comes with Cubase software. I got mine with an ebay coupon for $200 but they can definitely be had brand new under $250. High quality stereo pair condenser mics come built in or you can use XLR or 1/4 inch cables to input separate mics.

The Zoom allows you to record two channels at once. The omnistudio 4. I'm not sure about the mobile pre. At kidvybes suggestion I'm going to have to take a closer look at the mobile pre as I have been at the omnistudio.

As far as mics go you can check my fifty dollar mics thread for many suggestions for inexpensive high quality microphones. Whichever mic you get to start with it will always be a good option to add mics at $50 or less a pop.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

After an hour or two of debating and looking, I am going to get a Tascam 2488mkII instead, thanks to Zzounds 4 payment system. Thank you guys for your advice on a short notice. I will be picking up some speaker repair cables in the near future, along with one of their 57 copies for sure.

Having owned a SP B1 for the last 5 years I highly recomend it.

For the A/D conversion you didn't mention if you were after PCI, USB or firewire...lots of choices for each.

Stand alone mic pre's you can't do much better than a DMP3 in the used price range.

I bet you could pick up all used a B1, DMP3 and a 24/96 by SP and M-audio respectively. And as mentioned the wharfedale 8.2's (used) would be a good move for your next saved $250

Personaly if it was 10 years ago and I was starting again I'd spend it on room treatment

Well I've scrounged all my funds together this morning, and I have $250 to get my basement studio really going, finally. For that total price, I'd like to get at least one good microphone (SP B1???) and an interface, plus cables etc...I already have a few cheap vocal mics and plenty of stands...

Suggestions from the HRF experts are welcome

Thanks, Will

I paid $250 for my copy of Pro Tools

I paid $250 for my copy of Pro Tools

Want a cookie? I'm trying to be nice because it's Christmas. The guy asked a real question. In what way is your post relevent to his question?

My first interface was a tascam us-122. I still use it on a second computer. I have since upgraded to an Alesis io14. While my recordings with the Alesis sound better (don't know whether it's better pre's, better a/d conversion, or both), there's nothing wrong with the tascam as a started interface.

I agree with starting with an M-audio interface. I started with an M-audio PCI card, the 192 and it sounded good. SP B1 is also a great suggestion. Good luck!

Wilbur,
The M-Audio Omnistudio interface also has good pres and can be found used for around $100. I have neither this nor the mobile pre so I can't compare them. Maybe someone else here has more hands on experience with the omnistudio.

...Larry...I'm still using the Omnistudio after 5-6 years and can highly recommend it...I've been thinking of upgrading, but I can't say there's anything lacking in the Delta66/Omnistudio PCI based setup (as I rarely record more than 2 tracks at a time)...very stable and clean sounding...on the other hand, the Mobile Pre also has 2 mic pres/2 line inputs, so you can definately record 2 tracks simultaneously...and it also sounds quite good...the down side is that it was one of the first USB interfaces and I'm not sure if the latest drivers improve upon the performance (the newer USB 2.0 interfaces are said to be much improved)...I can tell you that a singer/friend of mine has recorded a few tracks of vocals on the Mobile Pre that made it to his newest CD release and sound great...definately a terrific starter interface...;)

***Omnistudio is 24bit/96kHz while MobilePre is 16bit/48kHz***

Last edited:
My input in this is that you can get a surprisingly good Line 6 Toneport interface.
http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfrie...udio-Interface-and-MIDI-Controller?sku=246510
and a GLS 57 and you can start recording quality songs right away and later upgrade to a condenser. I got this Toneport recently and let me tell you that I'm surprise by it. I wasn't expecting much, I just wanted something to record MIDI and lay down guitar tracks, but this has some very nice pres and the ability to record vocals, MIDI and guitar in one unit. For the money, I think you cannot go wrong. Just my 2 cents :)

4 channels in?

...Larry...I'm still using the Omnistudio after 5-6 years and can highly recommend it...I've been thinking of upgrading, but I can't say there's anything lacking in the Delta66/Omnistudio PCI based setup (as I rarely record more than 2 tracks at a time)...very stable and clean sounding...on the other hand, the Mobile Pre also has 2 mic pres/2 line inputs, so you can definately record 2 tracks simultaneously...and it also sounds quite good...the down side is that it was one of the first USB interfaces and I'm not sure if the latest drivers improve upon the performance (the newer USB 2.0 interfaces are said to be much improved)...I can tell you that a singer/friend of mine has recorded a few tracks of vocals on the Mobile Pre that made it to his newest CD release and sound great...definately a terrific starter interface...;)

***Omnistudio is 24bit/96kHz while MobilePre is 16bit/48kHz***

kidvybes,

I thought the omnistudio allows 4 channels in. In other words the ability to record through both the mic and line inputs simultaneously.

Is this correct?

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

kidvybes,

I thought the omnistudio allows 4 channels in. In other words the ability to record through both the mic and line inputs simultaneously.

Is this correct?

Thanks,

Hairy Larry
Yes, and it also has S/PDIF. Very nice unit. I've used one for years.

:D

how is every one voting for "a couple good mics and an interface" lol. whats 2 good mics and an interface can you get for 250???
i cant even think of a good interface for less than 500.

Back