2488neo wav file importing

frictus

I ve had this rig about 2 yrs now and for the first time, tried to put my buddy's song onto it. Made sure that he sent me a WAV file and listened to it to make sure there was nothing wrong. Hooked up, opened the USB, dragged and dropped the file into the 2488 FAT partition, followed the prompts in the manual to close the USB and lastly, to select WAVE in/out to import USB. This is where it all goes south. I keep getting a msg "import file not found...use USB open to import file". I don't want to embarrass myself by saying how many days I've been doing this loop. Is there anybody out there who can help me stop this crazy ride? I am using windows vista and I am not the most adept at file shifting but I'm not incompetant either. Appreciate and will entertain any suggestions.

Frictus

Two things that I can think of right off the bat:

1) I know this may sound stupid/silly/simple, but is the WAV file mono?

2) make sure the bit rate and depth (ie: 44.1/16) are correct

That's all that comes to me at the moment...

is the WAV file mono?

I'm betting that's it. If it's a stereo wave file, you have to split it into 2 mono files before importing it. The 2488 only recognizes mono files for import.

EDIT: I just realized you're talking about the NEO. I only have the original 2488, which only takes mono files. I'm not 100% sure that's the case with the NEO.

Last edited:
Thank you Jjones and thank you Rami for your replies. I tried to import both ways; first mono then stereo. I also burned the file on disc and tried to upload that way. No success at all. Turns out (thanks again jj) the bit rate is 705kbps. So, what do I do now? I think I'll call my buddy and see if he can reformat.

frictus

I'm having a similar issue. Well, had a similar issue, then got PO'd and stopped trying. However, I was going to attempt this again this weekend so that some additional tracks can be recorded to an already mixed song.

While troubleshooting another issue with Cakewalk, I realized that I believe by default the Neo records tracks at a 24-bit rate. Correct me if I'm wrong, this was just a lightbulb that went on, I haven't verified it.

I have been exporting Cakewalk mixes as 16-bit, due to the limitation I was having of not being able to convert a 24-bit WAV to a MP3, probable User-Error, but 16-bit worked and at the time that was good enough for me.

So my question is, does the WAV file have to be 44.1k/24 in order to be imported in the NEO? Or can the bit rate for import be changed to 16-bit? Also, am I correct in my understanding that the NEO does not support 48kHz?

Thanks

Thank you Jjones and thank you Rami for your replies. I tried to import both ways; first mono then stereo. I also burned the file on disc and tried to upload that way. No success at all. Turns out (thanks again jj) the bit rate is 705kbps. So, what do I do now? I think I'll call my buddy and see if he can reformat.

frictus

Do you have Cakewalk? Because if you did you could always import the track into cakewalk, re-save it, export it (mixdown) at 44.1/16 (Cakewalk's default settings) and then you should have a track with a compatible depth for the NEO.

figured it out!!!

I thought I would take a little time to update those who have read and responded to this thread. I shelved the project for a couple months then tackled it again. Turns out that the wave file must pass through a FAT partition on the exporting computer before it can be imported to the FAT partition on the NEO. It also turns out that the computer I was using does not have a FAT partition but a NTFS partition instead ( if anybody understands this better than I do, feel free to correct me).

This is how I got it to import...Laptop connected to Tascam, USB open. Import the wave file to a thumbdrive (has FAT32) using a second USB port. Drag and drop wave from thumbdrive to 2488 NEO. It worked for me and hopefully it will help others who may be challenged by the ambiguities that tend to humble us fogies who have songwritten their way from the 70's and into "gadjetopia"! Thank you all for your replies.

Friccy

Back