2488 Neo S/PIDF Digital I/O question

noto

Help! I need to purchase a new computer and I don't know if I need to order a special sound card

How does the 2488 Neo S/PIDF Digital I/O work?
Do any of you use it?
Do I need a special sound card for connecting it to the Neo or do I just plug a cable from the digital in/out of the Neo into the colored inputs in the back of my computer?

What is the advantage of using the digital in/out method versus transferring data via USB?

Thank you,

:confused::confused:

I use the SPDIF on my 2488 original model to send the mix from my drum set to my PC.
You don't need a special card but you need a PC or a card that will connect correctly.
There are different types of SPDIF so just make sure you get the connections right.
One advantage to me is lossless transfer and another is two channels from basically one RCA cable.
Note I said one cable.

Thank you for the replies!
Does the digital out from the Neo send in real time as the music is playing?

Yes, the SPDIF is for music.; functionally the same as connecting an audio cable.

The USB on the 2488 is for file transfer. The file being an audio wave file.

Hi, I use Neo In and Out s-pdif and for me this is the best thing about NEO and DP-32 doesn't have.

I work only on digital domain, I use digital mixers (2 of then a very old EZBUS that is a all in one mixer/audio path, and a Roland M-1000 that is all digital) and the core one is the Roland M-1000 that makes the connection to and from NEO and USB to PC.

As my Roland is old and I need to change my computer I've been looking for the best interface for WIN7 or WIN8 and I conclude that TASCAM US-366 is the best one for me, I think it worth to take a look. I just need the digital I/O so US-366 is enough for me.

If you don't need a lot of analog going in to the computer I recommend the new TASCAM US-366. Be aware of audio loops :)

Back