2488: Has Anyone Had Their Transport Buttons Replaced?

Zaphod B

Raccoons-Be-Gone, Inc.
I know it's been a fairly common complaint about 2488's - that the transport buttons get recalcitrant or stop working altogether. (rewind / play / stop / ff / record)

My rewind button has been iffy for a while, needing more effort than the others. Now the play button is doing the same.

I assume it's an easy fix but I guess I should back everything up before getting it serviced. :(

I have the same problem with mine. It comes and goes on different buttons (mostly PLAY and RW). Sometimes, they work fine for months. Sometimes, I have to wiggle and almost stand on it to get it to work.

A bit more annoying problem is the wheel. I don't know if I have a piece of dust stuck in mine, but sometimes, I barely touch it and it flies ahead a bunch of frames. Usually, if I try to go left, it shoots right. It drives me nuts...but I still love my 2488. :)

I'm afraid can't help you either, because I was wondering the same thing... Was.... But now my 2488 completely went out.:eek:

Some one over at TF tried contact cleaning fluid together with a shot of compressed air(into top of unit) and claims that every thing is now hunky-dory.

I will try this as a last resort - but I also have increasingly sticky buttons.

K.

Some one over at TF tried contact cleaning fluid together with a shot of compressed air(into top of unit) and claims that every thing is now hunky-dory.

I will try this as a last resort - but I also have increasingly sticky buttons.

K.

That makes sense. As long as the button still clicks then it's likely dust buildup.
My rewind button is getting sluggish too, and when it gets a little worse I'll fire up the air compressor and give the whole panel a blast.

That makes sense. As long as the button still clicks then it's likely dust buildup.
My rewind button is getting sluggish too, and when it gets a little worse I'll fire up the air compressor and give the whole panel a blast.

That makes sense, but my 2488 is in a very clean environment, and is always covered when not in use. Still, I might try a shot of contact cleaner and air.

Zaphod B - Check post #7 in the thread link below. A guy replaced his record button with the seldom used CLICK/TEMPO.

http://tascamforums.com/index.php?showtopic=10642&pid=125173&st=0&#entry125173

I've been using the 2488 a lot these past few weeks and yesterday the play button stopped working altogether....but still clicked. So I tried canned keyboard cleaner with no improvement. Next, I ran a line from my air compressor to the 2488 and blasted away at 60psi on the whole thing for awhile and it has been working ever since.

Still, it seems these switches are closed but I do leave the unit out and it is dusty, and I can't argue with the results.

Back