246 transport problems

dpvollmer

I replaced the two belts in my 246 last Saturday in order to use it once again to take several old 4 track tapes and using the tape outs capture the tracks to my Korg D888. Everything went fine except that some of the tapes did not want to play. That is, the capstan and pinchroller were pulling the tape from the supply reel of the cassette but the take-up reel was not winding the tape so it began to "bunch up". Some of my tapes wouldn't play at all.

Today, I cannot even get the fast forward or rewind to work. I removed the back and the belts are still in place. There seems to be a little more slack in what I think is the control belt (the one that doesn't go around the flywheel) but there is still tension.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
David

The FF/RW function is driven by a clutch assembly with two "tires". The tires may have become sticky and siezed up to the hub or motor shaft. The clutch mechanism is in the very center of the cassette mech. It's a bit of a teardown to replace the tires, but you may be able to get a visual inspection of it before going in deep. There's a chance that if the clutch/tires are sticky & have siezed, you may be able to free it up without replacement. You'll have to get into the guts again & see for yourself.:eek:;)

Thank you for your reply and insight. Where can I find the instructions to do the things you recommend? If I need the "rubber tires" do you know how I might purchase them?

I also have some 8-track tapes made on a Tascam 688 (no longer available at the church where I used to work) that I need to retrieve the tracks from. I am looking at purchasing a Tascam 238 in order to accomplish this. I downloaded a 424 MKIII user's manual and looked at the head configurations of the various cassette formats and it would appear that I could actually use a 238 to play my 246 tapes using tracks 1, 2, 7, and 8 although the head coverage would, of course, not be ideal.

I would still like to get my 246 fixed if for no other reason than to offer it for sale in good working order. It's a great recorder as you know but I don't need it for aquisition - only for capturing tracks made on it in the past.

I also need a way to play 10" reels of 1/4" tape in both a 4-track and half-track format using DBX - or maybe find someone who can do that and put the tracks on a hard drive for me.

Your comments and suggestions on any of the above are most welcomed.

Thank you,
David

Back