246 track 5 and 6?

t_ebrontosaurus

I used to be a constant reader and occasional poster

but i changed my email accounts and never got a confirmation email again...
so after months of trying to create new accounts and trying to save my old one.. i have this name now. the missing 'h' is a wound

but,
i was wondering if anyone could properly tell me how to use channels 5 and 6 of this machine. My first experiment worked but i cant seem to get it again.

thank you much,
and im very glad to be back here again

noah

It's just that many, who own TASCAM analog tape / mixer gear, don't come here often. The Analog Only forum is kinda the unofficial place for all things TASCAM analog. :)

I hope I understand the basic question, but...

Channels 5 & 6 on the 246 are basically like the first four channel strips.

When using the first 4 inputs for "live" (instrument/mic) sources when tracking and overdubbing, sometimes it becomes necessary to use Channels 5 & 6 for those "extra" two sources. In this case, you'd plug your instrument/mic cables to the 5/6 inputs, and "assign" them to "busses" 1-4, which route directly to "tracks" 1-4 on tape. The Pan control varies the signal between "Left-Buss" tracks (1/3) and "Right-Buss" tracks (2/4).

It's not that the tracks themselves have a left/right orientation (on playback), but as a rule, (when recording) the (tape) tracks 1 & 3 derive their input signals from (mixer) buss Left, and the (tape) tracks 2 & 4 derive their input signals from (mixer) buss Right. It's handy to remember this when you select your "Assign" buttons, your "Pan" control and your "target" track.

When "mixing down" your final 4-track tape composition, you may use input Channels 5 & 6 as "aux/effect-returns", as the case may dictate. At this time you'd typically "assign" 5 & 6 to "buss" 1 & 2, which are typically the busses you route your "final mixdown" signal thru, to the outside world.

I hope I've explained things clearly, & have covered the original question!!
There's not that much to it & it's certainly not on par with brain surgery or rocket science!!! :eek: ;)

PS: I'd say, for a question like this, it's fair game in the "Tascam" forum and the "Analog" forum, alike. I frequent both columns. :eek: ;)

Back