244D TEAC 4track cassette recorder

KenO244

Question? Is there another compatible deck to play back tapes I recorded in the 80s? I have a couple 244Ds but they no longer function like cant playback, eats tapes. I would love to get them repaired but don think it would be cost efficient. I see other decks like the less expensive mini Studio 414 portistudio could playback the tapes from the 244 D. A used 244D is kind of cost prohibitive esp as they are mostly old and prone to malfunctioning once purchased.

Last edited:
I think fixing your machines is the best.

Most problems with the old decks is the rubber parts deteriorating.

Often times buying another deck you’re just going to have the same troubles with the rubber rotting, getting gummy, belts stretched out etc.

If you already have the decks, getting them in order makes the most sense. To me anyway.

Fix your deck, and stop hoping something on Ebay will be better. You know what you have; all the Teac needs is some love and care.
As a footnote: eating tape in itself can sometimes be as simple as the pinch roller having gotten slick from use. A fine nail file against the roller while spinning it manually can coarsen it up again, and let the tape get past. Not saying this is the issue, or the only issue, but I have fixed a "hungry" deck that way, where there was nothing else wrong inside.

Once fixed, if these are the decks that recorded your tapes originally, you will be doing the transfers on the same unit, which, too, can be beneficial.

Good luck with it; it's always great to hear your old "works" again.

Claus

Fixing your 244D is one option, but a few years ago I found a 424 in good working order*. It has dbx NR and three speed options, so it should be compatible. I've been using it to digitize some old 4-track tapes and it sounds quite good.

*In a second hand store with a 48 hour return policy. I don't think I'd do an online deal.

I would not recommend 'filing' the pinch roller. Do not use ISOPROPA on it either (but ok for heads) Get a clean gent's hanky and some clean, de-ionized water, damp the hanky and scrub the roller. Nasty brown stuff will come off but keep at it and eventually you will be back to clean, grippy rubber.

Oh and yes, get the existing deck fixed by a good tech. Maybe someone here knows someone?

Dave.

Do not use ISOPROPA on it either
I was always told this, but I used it on the pinch roller and capstan of my Tascam 488 portastudio from 1993 through to 2018 and I never had a problem. And I would clean the heads and roller before, sometimes during and after every session. I changed the pinch roller twice in 26 years, because of natural wear and tear, and did thousands of recordings. I also used to use it on all my tape decks in that period. Never any problem.

I was always told this, but I used it on the pinch roller and capstan of my Tascam 488 portastudio from 1993 through to 2018 and I never had a problem. And I would clean the heads and roller before, sometimes during and after every session. I changed the pinch roller twice in 26 years, because of natural wear and tear, and did thousands of recordings. I also used to use it on all my tape decks in that period. Never any problem.
I am sure YOU had the finesse to remove the glaze without removing too much rubber or causing 'flats'. The golly handed among the populous may not be so careful. The use of cloth and water is safer.

A similar qualification can be applied to de-magging. Beneficial when done properly but can actually increase noise if not.

Dave.

Hi there!

I'm sorry to hear that your TEAC 244D cassette recorder isn't working like it used to. I can understand how frustrating that must be. Fortunately, there are a few other decks that should be able to playback the tapes you recorded in the 80s. The TEAC Portastudio 414 and the TASCAM 424 mkII are both compatible decks that should be able to play back the tapes from your 244D. A used 244D is a little bit on the expensive side, but those decks are still widely available and tend to be more reliable than some of the older models. If you're not interested in repairing your old deck, then one of those newer models would be a good option. Thanks for reaching out!

Back