244/246 Cassette Tape Types

Danalogue

I've been scouring the web, and a clear source of information on tape types seems hard to find. What does Type I, Type II, Type III... ACTUALLY mean?

I have a 246 now, and I'm impressed. But I want to maximise my fidelity. I have access to a sony "Metal Master" tape but I'm wary of trying it until I talk to someone who's tried. They've been recorded to once already (music recorded from a CD years ago). How 'bad' is that for recording over?

The manual for my 244 and 246 and Porta Two all recommend type II. Is this simply because types III and IV weren't invented yet? Would they be better? If so, why?

All three machines make a certain amount of noise that seems to have nothing to do with tape at all, it has a basic hiss when you turn the unit on. Any thoughts for reducing this?

Type II is chrome & these are what you use - Type III is known as a metal tape. I believe these tapes (though the best) will grind down your recording heads... or so a believe.

K.

Hi, I've recently picked up a 246 too and love it, great preamps and eq. Regarding tapes, K pretty much nailed it. An analogy I've read is to think of the tape like sandpaper, each type has a different coarseness of grit. Type II is the least coarse. Another tip is to keep the length of the tape to 60mins as the tape stock is thicker than that used for 90min tapes. The tape will better withstand repeated overdubbing, mixing, playback, rew/ff without causing the tape to stretch.

As for the inherent hiss with the 246 (from the mixer side, not tape hiss), this is normal and I don't think there much that can reduce it. I'm still learning the ins and outs of mine, but I've found that as you record tracks the hiss isn't as noticeable on playback. From what I understand, the trick is to push the levels as hot as you can without clipping, and sort of "cover" the hiss with the input signal. Hope that's helpful!

Cheers!

tapes

thanks, glad I asked on here before I used my metal masters on them. So the metal tapes actually wear down the recording heads? Brutality. Is it the kind of thing that's appropriate to pull out for a special occasion or would you stay away from it altogether? And thanks for the advice.

dan

I've read a bit more about this since I'm basically a noob, and it seems that really the whole "metal tape wear" issue was more of a concern in the 70's before cassette tape heads were made considerably more durable and wear resistant. Today most people seem to consider the claim that type IVs cause more wear to the heads to be an urban myth. Bottom line, if type IV does cause more wear, we're talking very long term from heavy use. I would stand by using type IIs as your main media as per Tascam, but the metal tape shouldn't be much concern as long as you're religiously cleaning your heads after.

sweet

excellent, I'll do some sonic taste testing and see if I notice much difference in sound quality. I'm trying to get as good a drum sound as possible with a 57 and a 58... Pleasantly surprised so far (I'm not deluded, just happy that I have a decent and workable/inspiring demo sound). I'll do some tracking with the same settings on a type IV and a type II and let you know what I think. Thanks for the update. Where'd you read this info?

Dan

Got this info from a google search of "metal tape head wear" and "type IV tape head wear." A few discussion threads came up and most people were poo-pooing the concern over metal/type IV tapes wearing down heads faster than other tape types. Sounds like in the 70s it was more of a issue but improvements in the durability of the cassette heads and also cobalt added into metal tapes pretty much took care of the worry.

Pulling this out of the air, but I'm guessing Tascam recommends the type II tapes because they calibrate the machines at the factory to that kind of tape. The dbx noise reduction might not work as well, or might not take full advantage of the metal/type IV tapes. I'm sure you'll notice if there's something weird going on there. Probably not going to be much difference vs. type II.

no go on the metals

no go on the metal tapes... they weren't blank and for some reason they don't erase properly, so you can hear what was once on them. I'll hang on to them and maybe try to erase them with a degausser or when I find one.

Oh, I also just picked up a 244, and that inherent hiss I was talking about is noticeably quieter on the 244 (although channel 3 is totally messed on it), which is a shame because the 246 has so many improvements and actually seems to be more solidly constructed.

The portastudios are designed for Type II tapes. The bias and noise reduction (those that have dbx) circuitry in them is set up for that type alone. The reason you can't work with Type IV (Metal) tapes is that there isn't enough "oomph" to properly erase/record onto the tapes, as you've noticed by the tapes not being properly erased. You can use a bulk eraser to wipe them out if you need to, but make sure to keep the eraser well clear of any decks and tapes.

For the most part, you will have to have a mixdown deck (such as a 112 or 122) if you plan on using Type IV tapes. The heads are a bit harder, so they say, and will last longer than the run of the mill heads for Type I and Type II decks.

I've never played with my 424mkII in combination with Type I cassettes. It's not biased for those tapes, but I'm curious how the dbx would handle it though. I wouldn't expect optimum results, but it would be a fun experiment.:D

Hope some of this clears things up for you.;)

Type I - most variable category in terms of quality. TDK AD tape had a higher than normal coercivity, giving it a rising high end, good SOL, but poor MOL. The best Type I tapes could be excellent in terms of quality, but they all had a 4.5 dB disadvantage in terms of the 120 microsecond playback EQ. Type I is generally the most stable of all the tapes. BASF manufactured the IEC I standard.

Type II - more costly pigments meant less variability in quality. The 70 microsecond EQ gave these tapes a 4.5 dB advantage in terms of lower tape hiss, but that EQ setting sacrificed some--not all--of their SOL advantages over Type I. There were two basic pigments used: chromium dioxide and cobalt-doped iron oxide. Chrome initially had problems with lower sensitivity, MOL, and print-through; but BASF developments in milling and pigment development improved all these low points. Combined with its distinct advantages in low noise floor, low modulation noise, and freedom from magnetostrictive losses in high end over time, chrome's advantages made it the choice for the music industry's best tapes. Double-coated chrome tapes (Chrome Super and Chrome Maxima) had MOL levels equal to that of the better chrome equivalent tapes without a sacrifice in noise levels.

Cobalt-doped tapes have high MOL levels and generally greater sensitivity than chrome tapes (partly due to higher packing densities), and the fact that the playback meters showed higher output gave them a distinct marketing advantage. They did suffer from higher initial noise levels and increasing noise over time ("delta noise") as well as some loss in short wavelength response due to magnetostrictive effects from capstan/pinch roller pressures. Most had very good resistance to print-through except TDK's SA-X tape which was formulated to beat BASF's claim of "world's quietest tape" for its chrome tapes. TDK probably milled the particles to tiny sizes for lower noise, but that would run the risk of too many crystals with paramagnetic properties that would lead to instability. Cobalt-doped tapes were often more prone to rub-off than chrome tapes, which were noted for the clean running properties. BASF made the intial IEC reference tape using a chrome formulation. In the 1990's BASF changed the IEC II standard using a ferric cobalt formulation.

Type III -- a combination of a ferric oxide base and a chrome upper layer for increased high frequency sensitivity and a low noise floor, ferric-chromes had amazing MOL levels at 315 Hz (due to high packing densities) and the same low noise floor of chrome tapes. But that's all. Their mid-range output levels were quite low, and their SOL levels were very poor due to the imbalance of short wavelength flux penetrating below the thin chrome layer and reaching self-erasure in the ferric base. Both BASF and Sony made ferric-chrome tape; Sony made the IEC III reference tape.

Type IV -- a pure metal pigment tape "reintroduced" by 3M with its Metafine formulation (BASF's iron carbonyl from 1934 was actually the first metal pigment), metal tape had enormous levels of output compared to all other formulations. It needed it. The noise levels were also the highest, probably because the particles were so difficult to disperse and orient in manufacturing. The resulting S/N at 315 Hz was often only slightly better than the best Type I or Type II tapes, but the SOL levels of metal tape were substantially better than any others. TDK made the IEC IV reference tape.

Appreciate the very informative reply. But, can someone explain in plain language (if possible) the meaning of MOL and SOL. I used to read it a lot on cassette wrappings, but was mystified as to what it all meant.

Thanks.

K.

Back