24 bit version

Motorbreath

Quick question for all you who use the 24 bit version. I just picked up an Audiophile 2496 this weekend. Not my ultimate solution, but I am pleased still. :)

I registered the 16 bit version of ntrack and used it quite a bit. The on-board sound on my new PC, however, forced the upgrade to a decent card. I understand I need to pay the difference to get the 24 bit version, and plan to do so this week. Is it just a different code that unlocks 24 bit ability? My system is really unstable when trying to run ntrack right now with the new card. I can't even play back previously recorded stuff. I tried tracking at 44.1 but it was real choppy audio.

Again, I will be upgrading to the 24 bit version this week, but I'm curious what to expect when I do that. Will I need to uninstall and reinstall a new 24 bit download version? I'm really thinking of scratch loading W2K to build it around the new card from the beginning. It runs really slow since I disabled the on-board sound and installed the driver for the Audiophile.

FWIW, the new PC is an Athlon AXP-1800 with 256MB RAM. Any pointers on hardware, program, or recording settings are appreciated too.

One thing is for sure though: my on-board sound would leave the VU meters static around 30-40% with no input! Awful noise! The Audiophile is absolutely silent. I am really looking forward to recording with it. Feels like Christmas. :)

Pay the $20.

You just get a different code that ups your current version. Your ears will love you for it (and it doesn't hurt to give Flavio a teeny bit extra, too for his work....)

Can't help you with the Audiophile since I don't have one, but there are tons of other people using it that can help you. Be sure to ask (or search the topics) over at the ntrack.com board, too.

Everything that Tim said sounds great!
I would definitely do a fresh install of Win2K. I tried upgrading from 98 to 2000, and all hell broke lose with my Delta 44. When I did a clean install, everything went well! Make sure you have the 2000 drivers for the Audiophile (from the website) and put them on a floppy before you do the install. Also, I believe you need to have SP2 installed. Good luck!

hell yeah, i just won an ebay auction, delta 44.

already got 24bit..i'm psyched to try it soon...still waiting till the weekend to order the new comp though! lol

im using N-Track with an Audiophile on a 500mhz Celeron dinosaur with no problems....it should smoke on your system....definitely look into driver issues, IRQ issues, etc. because you shouldnt be having problems......

Thanks for all the input. It's been a busy week, but here's the update. Hopefully this will help someone else, or perhaps someone can see an error in my ways and correct me. :)

I upgraded to the 24 bit version this past week. Had problems getting anything to record. It was real choppy, almost like stuttering. I searched high and low on this bbs and at the fasoft site. I tried 24 bit, 24 bit unpacked, 24 bit unpacked left justified, tried different drivers, completely wiped my system with a fresh install of w2k (ouch), service packed, reinstalled ntrack, and STILL had choppy audio recording at 24 bit. 16 bit was barely better. I saw one message where someone tried win98 instead with success. So, contrary to my network engineer nature, I downgraded my new system to win98.

It works flawlessly. Perfect audio in and out. And YES that 24 bit thang makes a difference! Wow!

Go figure. DOWNGRADING the OS worked. Not the best solution, I admit. But I could not get it working with w2k.

So, now I have a 24 bit soundcard, with 24 bit software, on a soon to be unsupported OS, but HEY...I am ready to start recording! As long as it works, which it seems to quite well.

I had the same problems with my Delta 66 recording at 24bits. My recommendation is to set the buffering to Very High rather thn the default High. It has made a world of difference on my new P4 1.6ghz system w/ XP.

I figure the bloatware engineers at microsoft accidentally got something right about 98se.I'm sticking with it too.

Setting up buffering with the Delta series (including audiophile) is very awkward. You need to be using the right drivers in n-Track, and then you have to setup your buffering accordingly (both using the Delta Control Panel and n-Track), or you will get stuttering. Setting up ASIO is completely different from setting up WDM too.

You don't need to downgrade your OS unless you've got a serious hardware issue. :)

Slackmaster 2000

Back