24/96 what does it mean exactly?

danielshawn

What happens exactly when you record in 24-bit/96 kHz fidelity and why is this so desirable. I noticed all the major audio interfaces tote this.

From what I've been able to gather, the MBox is only capable of 24-bit/48kHz recording? Should this concern me?

Thanks so much!
--DanielShawn

maybe your petswill appreciate it.

here goes a huge debate. i can hear the wind rustling.
but my position is anymore than 24 bit 44.1 is a huge waste
of time and energy and disc space.

Re: maybe your petswill appreciate it.

manning1 said:
here goes a huge debate. i can hear the wind rustling.
but my position is anymore than 24 bit 44.1 is a huge waste
of time and energy and disc space.

I agree with the above to a certain extent. The advantage to recording in 24-bit/96 or 192 khz is that even though you will eventually have to reduce it to 16bit/44.1khz if you are planning to burn it to cd, you will be recording in higher resolution, which could in turn result in a better sound quality. But that's definately subjective. I record in 24-bit, 48 khz and then reduce it to 16/44.1 in mixdown (I use sonar)

Yeah, okay, fine. But why are the converters on one piece of gear (apogee, benchmark, lucid) so much better than other gear (behringer, edirol)?

Because they use much better clocks.

Less jitter means better representation of a sine wave.

The main advantage of going with 24bit 96Khz is for DVD audio. Any audio on DVD either stereo, spacial or 5,6,7 channel spacial needs to be in 24bit 96Khz, thats is going to be the future standard for everything, so doing the mixes in that samplerate would let you use your stuff now and in the near future.

jeyan

dvd audio standards are not cast in stone.
a new technology might come out ....and the whole game changes...
maybe mega dvd. its all just a game to get money out of
poor musicians who really think they need 192khz etc.
following your logic the whole of the stones hits would have to be re-recorded from scratch at 192khz. every track.
i dont think that will happen. do you ?

let me add

1. its crazy for HOME RECORDING studios to worry about these new standards right now because of flux in the industry.
2. technology is changing so rapidly that in a few years, well even now actually the convertors in say an audiophile or echo mia
are way good enough. microphones have more noise than in these sound cards and the rooms your recording in have more noise, as do the guitar amps you use.
3. there are more important issues to focus on like writing good songs. particularly given a lot of songs end up as mp3's
these days and played in mp3 players.

... think of all the great albums we still listen to that were recorded at 16 bit. i sometimes feel like we musicians spend too much time agonizing over these details, which takes time away from creating music. maybe i was better off when i didn't know much about specs... just what sounded good.

i agree

too many home studios are buying into marketing hype imho
and buying equipment they dont really need like a herd of sheep because of believing everything they read.
i actually had a discussion this week with someone who has the gear itch and believes that 192khz will make him a better songwriter. sheer lunacy.

Even if you only record at 24/44.1 the bottom line is that most 96hz convertors are better overall. A big part of the convertor quality is the clock like C7 mentioned but also the analog components.

In regards to the Mbox it is probably fine for home demos but not if you are looking for top quality. It just depends on your goals.

24/96

I have listened to 24/96 surround sound up in a studio in Hollywood and it ws amazing. It was a recording of the Nitty Gritty Dirt band but it was from really expensive monitors in great acoustics and I don't have that stuff at home. I really don't think it matters that much if your producing cd's that people are going to listen to in thier cars and on the average stereo. Of course the audio philes out there with the best set up will want to hear high resolution audio but I think if the music is good then that's most important. Hell I still listen to my Aretha Franklin vinyl on my turntable at home and it sounds sweet.

Back