24/96 in Vegas Pro

jrich

Hi all,

I've been surfing this BBS for about 6 months now, but I've finally got a question that I can't exactly find an answer to.

I'm using Vegas Pro right now for tracking and it says it supports 24/96. But when I go to the Properties dialog and to Audio, the highest choice I can choose is 16/44.1. I am using an Aardvark Q10 so I have the ability to go 24/48.

Also, when I saved previous Cool Edit files to 24/48 and tried to open them in Vegas, I would just get a noise.

Can anybody help me with this?

Also while I'm here, when I'm mixing and using plugins the playback skips, pops, and plays out of sync after about 8 tracks and 12? plugins. I figure it is simply because I have a slower processor (350 Mhz PII) but the CPU usage meter never jumps above about 6% and the RAM usage only shows about 25/416. Could these simply be reading wrong, or is it a problem with the program/setup?

Sorry for the long post, but I figured I might as well put both questions in the same post. Thanks!

Thanks for the help.

I'm at a mac now and the pdf downloads from sonicfoundry's website won't work so I can't look at the manual right now, and I couldn't find any helpful information on the website.

I've gotten the opportunity through different friends to try out different programs before I decide which I would like to buy, and so far I prefer Vegas, but not having 24 bit was bothering me. I could have sworn the manual said it had the ability.

Is Vegas Pro an earlier release than Vegas Audio 2.0?

I guess that if the case is simply that Vegas Pro doesn't support that sample rate, but Vegas Audio 2.0 and 3.0 do then I can just ignore that aspect while I'm doing my trial runs and just focus on using it. So far I've found it so incredibly much easier than Cubase or Logic Audio, I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that I don't use midi. I really like Cool Edit, but the lack of real-time effects just doesn't cut it, and I have yet to try Cakewalk. I am surprised though that i don't hear of more people using Vegas.

josh

Well, Vegas is by far my favorite pick. I don't do the MIDI thing either, so it's a logical choice for me. Just plain easy to use, and plenty of power and options to do whatever I need.

I'm using Vegas Video 3 for audio, and I'm almost certain that it supports 24/96. There's a discussion going on in the Vegas section of the Sonic Foundry forums about 24/96 in Windows XP. Some claim that it works, some claim that it doesn't work because of their M-Audio card, and still others claim that it doesn't work because there's a bug in Microsoft's WDM.

Here's another hurrah for Vegas' UI. I simply cannot understand people's fascination with Pro Tools, Cubase, Logic, etc...

thanks

Thanks for the responses everybody, but I'm using Vegas Pro right now, not Vegas Video 3.0. I don't believe they make Pro anymore. I'm pretty sure by the sounds of it, that I can't get 24/96. No big deal, just a trial run still.

josh

gggggrrr

Ok, well I did a search and found some reviews and stuff for Vegas Pro. It is a little older than the Audio & Video, it is before they decided to split the two up. BUT...all of them said that it DOES supported 24/96 recording.

In the manual though, it says that you should have a 450Mhz processor, and mine is 350. Is it possible that Vegas somehow detects that and simply doesn't allow 24/96 on slower processors?? It seems weird that that could be possible

>In the manual though, it says that you should have a 450Mhz processor, and mine is 350. Is it possible that Vegas somehow detects that and simply doesn't allow 24/96 on slower processors?? It seems weird that that could be possible

This is very easy for the program to detect. Yes- pretty weird that they would bother, though, when they've stated the specs on the machine that are required up front. I'm sure that Vegas Pro supports 24/96- even though I've only experienced 16/48 :)

My new CD burner surprised the crap out of me when it recognized that I had slipped in a CDR that wasn't certified for the burn rate I chose, and downed the speed to one the media DID support, all on the fly without messing up the burn.

Back