$225K+ Martin

A pre-war D-45 is about as rare as a snowball in Phoenix in July.

. . . and a great guitar (craftsmanship, woods and etc.)

That's why it's $200k+

Had to go back and look to see what it finally got... $255,100.00

From what I've hear most of the pre-war Martins were ripped apart by players putting strings on 'em that were to heavy.. Either the X bracing was scooted back or forward (can't remember which now) to get more sound, but it gave to large of a unsupported expanse across the top.. Could be part of the reason the top on this particular top was starting to crack..

--
Rob

Crash © said:
Had to go back and look to see what it finally got... $255,100.00

From what I've hear most of the pre-war Martins were ripped apart by players putting strings on 'em that were to heavy.. Either the X bracing was scooted back or forward (can't remember which now) to get more sound, but it gave to large of a unsupported expanse across the top.. Could be part of the reason the top on this particular top was starting to crack..

--
Rob

I don't know, I've played several '41 D-18's over the years owned by friends that didn't take particularly good care of them and they were all great sounding and incredibly sturdy.

There's a guy in Lawrence, KS who owns a music store, and his "personal thing" is prewar Martins. He showed me some of them. None of them look great, but they sure do sound sweet. Most of 'em are smaller than dreadnought size, though. At those eBay prices, he's got to be a millionaire.

foo said:
A pre-war D-45 is about as rare as a snowball in Phoenix in July.

. . . and a great guitar (craftsmanship, woods and etc.)

That's why it's $200k+

No, that has nothing to do with it. It's only worth that much because someone is willing to pay that much. Personally, I think that it's nuts, but it's not me bidding on it... ;^)

Back