2017...whats everyones fav Vocal rack gear...hardware? software? clean or crunchy?

im going to guess theres a cousin to Aphex in there.
the coffee today is GreatVlaue Walmart, I thik its 20lbs for $5, sure I have to drink 3 cups instead of one...but thats ok.

the harmonic hifi distortion is fed back into the signal path, this is the same Aphex did, maybe Art too. theres a funny ignorance of many tube snobs that dont get it, the hi voltage and all those type desgins were trying endlessly to keep it clean while these starved plates went for the hifi-harmonic effect which was the overdirven LA2A and other tube boards ran smashed mode and some dist...
eventually guitar pedals and everyone had distortion boxes and even Leo Fender gave up and distortion was something to brag about instead of being embarrassed by thanks to Cream and Hendrix and the like....right?

starved plates and harmonic is very cool and can be so subtle its a sparkling hi-fi....the problem was it sounded so good we put too much on everything and then it sounds brittle and tin can alley like. ..but cant any distortion do that?
if I turn up a $5600 ld Fender treble all the way it sucks too...is it the amps fault?

If the 2200 is a cousin of the Aphex I'd probably like it. Remember that Quartet that used only Aphex 107, and it was gorgeous which really got me to try one.

RIght if you want clean and e-chip , a mixing board can probably do that gain.... my exp with starved plate was the sweet spot is really sweet, but Im in sell mode. Ive sold about everything after finding I dont use it for 3 months and the Line6 Pod Farm gear can do my version of I am the Walrus distortion pretty good too....maybe I just need a cheap crap talkback mic like Geoff put in front of Lennon for that effect.

Regular Folgers for, here. Got the Zoom G1on yesterday and have been looking at its distortion with the Kastle noise synth. Wish it was just a bit more hi-fi - we'll see : )

While the old tube stuff was full voltage, we buy that, today, because some of it will have voltage supply problems. Some buyer says the box runs hot and not because of the tube.

Oh, One thing I found interesting was that there was a Thomann US. I'd still pay shipping, but they got the brands MF ignores.

You know, its gonna take me forever to get that new stuff hooked up. This summer really knocked me for a loop this year

I I don't see any gain spec in the 2200 Manual. The ADA8200 Manual says +15 to +60

Attachments

• Kastle1tst.mp3
    2.9 MB · Views: 4
  • kastleZoom.jpg
    kastleZoom.jpg
    495.1 KB · Views: 5
that ADA8200 is probably B's flagship, maybe the USB console starship enterprise D32 whatever.... that was a big controversy-shock-awe when it matched the high end converters.

ADA8200 would fit nice on my 8 channel interface offering some great clean gain for the XLR in.
then run the vocals through a distortion pedal....aha

yeah I looked all over for the 2200 gain ...no where. of all the preamps I went through the Aphex 107 had something I could hear and liked, and the 2200 seems to be the same design goal. the ART was nice, most of the chip cleans were gain without anything and the top seat was that frkn MikeE...the compressors supposedly do that dist, but the drive on the pre-in the loop is great to have. I tried the 1176 Lindell ALL IN...and it wasnt as noticeable as the mikeE but the 1176 didnt have the transformer preamp overdriven either...the mikeE has the preamp and the 1176 in one kind of thng

theres a sweet spot to hitting the starvedplatedist then slamming the compressor into a growl without blobbing it down with compressor blob mush that removes all the clarity.... I dont know but the compressors of Behringer Ive had are more like the Symetrix and clean comps where they dont have the tube distortion harmonic holy grail. the compressor tubes are elusive, Ive read even the ART VLA tubes dont do the dist thing like the 1176 copys ALL IN setting, or the LA2A overdriven setting for Neil Young.

even guitar amps have that sweet spot , right? its not like a Fender 65 Deluxe all tube is going to sound great on every setting but for $4500 I expect it too. damn you have a lot of wires to do and gain staging? what is the input sweet spot when you have 10qty in the chain? or does it matter? if it sounds good it is good-

coffee time, chores, stupid routines to do....guitar necks to trade and a couple guitars to moveout,the guitar neck thing and measuring and shimming and subjective preferences is an enjoyable hole to be in.

Coming upon the $100 price point, I saw two parametric. I only have a single, now. I thought it should be quieter than my '60s EF86 amps. And, it might overdrive the old amps well !

The ada8200, is pretty much only usable on the computer and that gives me about the same input jacks on the analog stuff

I got to play a bit yesterday. As, I'll be switching to two racks. Grabbed to problem boxes - outputs on the K1r synth and overheating on the ART DR-X effects. I will have to resolder the K1r , but I have to jiggle them. The effects would go out with the lid off, but that changed to a stable on after a few hrs. The buttons to change things don't work yet, but it is going in the rack as I can use this one effect.

Seeming about the same, but a vocal other than human.

There's a web page that says some hole solders up by the ribbon cable oxidize and the power is probably weak - the stuck buttons.

Direct Master to the OLY

Attachments

• 140304_0020.MP3
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
  • DR-X_Crop.jpg
    DR-X_Crop.jpg
    688 KB · Views: 6
got the monitors and four processors yesterday. The monitors seems to be pretty reasonable just sitting on top of my tower, on top of a cassette . The other stuff will have to sit close to my eyes ! hasha

yeah my rack is close these days and I still need a magnifying glass and light.

crank those monitors up yet? scared the cats off?

I got to play a bit yesterday. As, I'll be switching to two racks. Grabbed to problem boxes - outputs on the K1r synth and overheating on the ART DR-X effects. I will have to resolder the K1r , but I have to jiggle them. The effects would go out with the lid off, but that changed to a stable on after a few hrs. The buttons to change things don't work yet, but it is going in the rack as I can use this one effect.

Seeming about the same, but a vocal other than human.

There's a web page that says some hole solders up by the ribbon cable oxidize and the power is probably weak - the stuck buttons.

Direct Master to the OLY

t-shooting and re-flowing.....your lucky if you can jiggle something for an error.

more pics needed or else I get confused.... still think those tube preamps in the R2R's can do some magic.

yeah my rack is close these days and I still need a magnifying glass and light.

crank those monitors up yet? scared the cats off?

Not exactly. They are runnin' off USB, though. When I get around to the Music Room, I'll have that front panel plastic insert and the rear port to deal with

Attachments

• 50USB _c.jpg
    50USB _c.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 7
t-shooting and re-flowing.....your lucky if you can jiggle something for an error.

more pics needed or else I get confused.... still think those tube preamps in the R2R's can do some magic.

I just needed to re-visit the problems with those older units. I was entertained by the harmonics from the nondescript processing.

Looking for the camera, I got the last of the rack stuff delivered. PIC of the first four waiting deployment : )

Attachments

• first4.jpg
    first4.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 7
4600 doing dual stereo or 4 solo?

basically My mixer ins are full and I grab for the one knob compression and its not there on the upper channels. Extra outs on the SUBs, so I can bunch stuff for some conditioning

Pic of third box . I don't think it would be all tedious to get all my signal that on that Furman 15-amp;

Attachments

• box3.jpg
    box3.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 3
OK. All unpacked, 'cept for cables.

I dunno' what to use as a monitor level control. For starters, I'll try the Behringer 1002FX as its already one-knob

Attachments

• last_batch.jpg
    last_batch.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 7
  • all stack.jpg
    all stack.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 7
damn healthy looking rack going up.
good pics.
saw a 2200 on CL...but Im still in sale mode (though had a could carts going on today...)

can the 2200 vs the 8200 preamps would be interesting shoot.

keep the construction site pictures coming...

ADA8200 preamps vs the 2200 vs the Tascam vs the Tube/R2R will happen in the interface under SPDIF?

keep the construction site pictures coming...

ADA8200 preamps vs the 2200 vs the Tascam vs the Tube/R2R will happen in the interface under SPDIF?

Mentioned before that it is only ADAT - will have to test it. I'm just firing up at the mail computer to get a feel for things. The preamp next

your gear setup has me thinking of Latency and Non Latency.....real knobs vs Mouse and cartoon knobs....

Im currently 100% ITB and still waiting buyers for other crap.
If I delve into hardware rack, after my past 24 months of preamp shopping and more...
the APHEX 107 is a great contender for cheap great stuff ....the DOD R825 not stereo but a great DI bass comp for <$100.
The 2200 could be the same as the PAhex, seems similar....I like the hifi shine the Aphex had. Clear.

the nonlatency thing and to hit Track 3 bass and just turn a real knob instead of mouse clicking is always alluring.
the power of ITB is huge too.

so Latency-less is a hardware benefit. Maybe you can do some Latency tests if you have time. Straight wire vs Rack Chain wire...vs ITB through plug-wires.....the waves should be easy to line up and measure latencyness...right?

Back