200$, an acoustic guitar, and your help.

dbeanerz

I know. Read the posts. I did. I've never been happy with my acoustic guitar recordings. I have 200$. I also have a DMP3 pre-amp, going into a firebox, with a nice computer, using Cubase.

Tell me which mic to get. I'm out of patience.

Rode NT1?
B1?
M67?

Yeah, I dont know. Help.

if you're just recording acoustic you'll probably get better results out of a pair of SDC's...the one's you've listed would work though.

Try a pair of the MXL 603's, the Oktava MK-012's, or the JM27's...

Jacob

What mic's do you have now? And what don't you like about the sound? Too bright? Too dull? Strange in a mix?

Getting the right mic might be just the ticket, but I went through this recently, and I was only satisfied when I got a new acoustic guitar.

But I like the MC012.

Good luck - I think that acoustic guitar is one of the hardest things to record (and I'm certainly not great at it).

A pair is good

As others have said, get a pair of mics, preferably sdc. It gives you heaps of options regarding positioning, and experimenting in mic placement will probably give you sound you want. I've used the Rode NT5s, Peluso CEMC6 and km184 - all a little above the $200, but a pair is definitely the way to go for solo or sparse recording.

Dan

Currently all I have is an SM58, SM57 and an MXL-V67. And these through a DMP3 pre-amp, into a firebox. Not much warmth on the 58, 57 isnt for acoustic guitars I do not believe (to faint, dull), and the V67 is warm, but, just doesnt capture it.

I have not tried stereo yet, so, maybe that's what I'm missing.

But I'll continue reading into these reccomendations, and appreciate the feedback.

EDIT:

So i toyed around with the M67...without a proper stand, and setup, I got some great results. Is there any particular reason that the M67 would give some good results in comparison to the SM58/SM57? Ever since purchasing those two, I havent got great results out of them for anything, minus vocals on the 58. I kind of got them on a whim out of 'classic must-haves', plus they were cheap.

Anyways, the 67 is giving good results, but I'm still interested in getting a stereo pair. I might check out the 604's, only because I'm a college student and that generally means I'm poor.

Last edited:
Back