20 watt or 50 watt Marshall?

cbsc

Hi everyone,

I played guitar with my drummer friend today in his small 8' x 10' home
recording studio and my current solid state setup is not producing enough juice to cut through the drums (we play very loud modern/hard/classic rock and he hits hard).

I am looking at the Marshall 20 watt and 50 watt ATV series and wondering which would be a better fit for jamming and recording in his small studio? I really like the high gain overdrive crunch and want to push the amp.

Would the 50 watt version be too much?

Thank you, Chad

http://www.marshallamps.com/product_range.asp?productRangeId=9

Well with a solid state rig, you pretty much can't be too big, because you can get similar sounds at all volumes. I know that an AVT50 through a 4x12 will overpower drums by about 100 times over, I play with a guy who owns one, and it CAN overpower my drums if he gets stupid. I don't know if the 20 watt combo will scream like that, but it prolly should be enough as long as you have at least one 12.

Just out of curiosity, what is your current setup?

Simon

2lim said:
Well with a solid state rig, you pretty much can't be too big, because you can get similar sounds at all volumes. I know that an AVT50 through a 4x12 will overpower drums by about 100 times over, I play with a guy who owns one, and it CAN overpower my drums if he gets stupid. I don't know if the 20 watt combo will scream like that, but it prolly should be enough as long as you have at least one 12.

Just out of curiosity, what is your current setup?

Simon

I am actually a converted bass player-- I run a Godin LG (w/ humbuckers) into a sansamp di box (I use it as a preamp) and then into a fender frontman 25b bass amp (25watts)... so I don't have a real setup yet.

Back