20,000 to start studio...

AudioVault

Well i just got my 20,000 dollar loan from the bank and now its time to buy gear.. So heres where im at right now. Im running a G5 through a 002 and mixing with the Soundcraft Ghost. The studio im building is in my basement, there is a drum room, a vocal room and the control room. As for mics, preamps, compressors, effects i dont have much...couple 57's and a tc electronic m-one xl.
Im going to be recording a lot of bands but doing hip hop production and beat making too.
If you had 20,000 to build my studio... mic locker, effects, compressors, pres, anything else what would u get?

you got a loan to start a studio!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!!

you may be in for a big suprise.
esp if you need to ask people what to buy.

what did you tell them that the loan was for?
who loans money for a recording studio?
seriously, i want to know.

before you get all hostile, this is a personal studio and im not looking to make much money, im an engineer working in a studio right now and know that its not easy.... the loan is from rich family.... and i accually know pretty much what im buying just wanted some other opinions

not hostile.
don't care enough to be so.....
ahhhhhh personal loan, that makes more sense.
i would have considered getting 20K out of a bank for a studio a merical.

where do you meet these "wealthy" people?

(it's a hypothetical)

I guess the "bank" you mentioned in your first post was the rich friend? Anyway 20 grand isn't going to get you much. I have 300 sq ft. in my basement that isn't even fully contructed or treated and I'm well over 20 grand. If you already have a 002 and a G5 then do what apl said. Buy a shit load of acoustic treatment, then good monitors.

the rooms are built, i read that whole article already ...im asking about gear...going "pro" is not my intention right now..i dont have the money for payments on a space and for now im buying gear.
What do you think about the Kurzweil KSP8 for effects, reverb?
what about harmonizers? eventide?

Man! Where do I begin... 20K. Ummm...

1 Great River MP2-NV
1 Pendulum MDP-1
1 Hardy 4 ch. JTS990
1 API 3214+

2 Micro Gefell 930's
1 soundelux U195
2 Josephson c42's
2 AT 40??
2 beyerdynamics m160's
4 sennheiser MD421's
1 AKG d12

I think I'm around 20K here. You should hit them wonderful (rich) family members up for another 5K so I can move on to Compressors and/or Converters OK.

chris-from-ky said:
Man! Where do I begin... 20K. Ummm...

1 Great River MP2-NV
1 Pendulum MDP-1
1 Hardy 4 ch. JTS990
1 API 3214+

2 Micro Gefell 930's
1 soundelux U195
2 Josephson c42's
2 AT 40??
2 beyerdynamics m160's
4 sennheiser MD421's
1 AKG d12

I think I'm around 20K here. You should hit them wonderful (rich) family members up for another 5K so I can move on to Compressors and/or Converters OK.

Fuck that.

Just buy 20,000 of these:

THE GREATEST INSTRUMENT OF ALL TIME

Back