2 way Vs 3 way monitor.

dean1964

Does anyone know what alot, dare i say most, monitors are 2 way vs say 3way or even 4? The reason I bring this up is that i have been in that monitor vertigo for some time now. Price vs quality ect.ect.ect. And while looking for the perfect monitors I end up mixing on some Yamaha NS 60something or other three way thing. Low and behold....i get use to it. Call me crazy but i may just stick with em.

Cheers
Adam

In the end, all that really matters is whether your mixes translate well to a variety of different speaker and listening environments.
If you are getting into high end editing or Mastering or even sound creation maybe you'd wan't to invest in some highly pristine monitoring system and environment.

Most effort at the recording/tracking end should be given to good recording technique to capture great sounding tracks at the beggining.

Others will disagree I'm sure. Many hits were mixed on NS10s.

The simple fact of the matter is I personaly cannot afford even decent monitors. I've been working on these things for so long I know them. I've even got a friend who got a pair of Monitor 1s and has learned to translate those.

dean1964 said:
The simple fact of the matter is I personaly cannot afford even decent monitors. I've been working on these things for so long I know them. I've even got a friend who got a pair of Monitor 1s and has learned to translate those.

Yep

It's called learning your monitors.

Now since you know them,, try moving them some place else.
Take them to your friend's house and mix on them.

Do you still know them? If so,, then YES,,,, You know your Monitors.

Malcolm:p

Ask barefoot, he is speakers designer.

As for the number of drivers in the cabinets, I guess it depends on construction and quality of drivers. In hi-fi there are very expensive high end 2-way speakers, and there are cheap 4-way speakers.

Back