2 Sonic maximizer questions

dan

I know the general application of sonic maximizers but is there other ways to use them like recording vocals or other DI things?
And is there really much difference between the BBE 482 and 882?

Yo Dan:

If you have a PRETTY GOOD FX BOX, I don't think you need a gimmick box. I've read on this site that Maximizers don't do much. But, a GOOD reverb box can do a great deal.

I run two FX boxes directly into my MD-8 which gives me a choice to use one box or both of them for different effects and sounds and creativity. But, if you like the gimmick box, I guess you have to experiment with it to see how far it goes to the left or to the right of GOOD SOUNDS.

Cheers,
Green Hornet

I figured most people on this site would think their not worth much. Ive heard lots of good things about using them when your burning your mix to a CD-RW.

I sure wish I could afford to hire the marketing team that BBE uses to promote my studio. Hell, I would never sleep from all the business I got from people who would be coming here to record "better than anywhere else in the world, bar none!!!"

They could make all these great claims about how my "special" formula will instantly improve the overall sonic quality of your recordings. Hell, I should just call my studio "Sonic Maximizer Studio", then I could just jump on the band wagon of their success!!!

So I wonder dan, why would you "figure that most people on this site would think their not worth much"? Maybe, and just maybe there are many on here who fell for the BBE hype and got burned. Maybe, and just maybe, some on here have realized that no single box is going to offer what BBE claims without some other serious artifacts in the audio. Maybe, and just maybe nobody on here really cared for that piece of crap box and express that..... :) I am of all of the above. I have used the "Sonic Minimizer", oops, I mean Maximizer. I used it once.

I am not going to suggest that you hear things any differently than I do. But, maybe you want to hear all the great claims that BBE makes for that box, whether it delivers it or not. I don't know, but, I don't think that you are going to find too many supporters of it's use on here for the simple fact that most would rather spend their money on a box that will actually do something good for their mix.

If you are looking for a box to use while burning your mix to a CD-RW, try a tupe preamp. Now that is a box that will actually provide extended highs without more volume, and deeper bass without more volume. It will also smooth out high frequency transients that plauge digital recordings that are not mixed perfect. It will also provide a warmer sound altogether.

That would be where I would put my couple hundred bucks. But then again, what do I know, I just dabble..... :)

Ed Rei
Echo Star Studio www.echostarstudio.com

P.S. Please don't take me too serious here. I am not trying to harp on you. I just have a hard time taking BBE products very seriously.

[This message has been edited by sonusman (edited 02-02-2000).]

Hey Sonusman, you can harp all you want. Thats what I wanted to hear a kinda stern reassurance that these things are good or not. Besides I dont have the money for one anyway I was just curiose what they could do.

By the way, when I said I heard alot of good things I wasnt talking about from BBE, thats rediculous. no companies gonna advertise thier products with the way they really sound- with no bullshit. Ive read about em in alot of magazines and articles.

Home recording magazine shows you a picture of lots of peoples studios and tells you exactly whats in them from the mixer to the headphones. Ive seen a few of them there or else I probly wouldnt have considered askin about em.

Back