2 short but very special (at least for me) MP3's

Jim Soloway

I've spent the last 18 months trying to put together my own line of guitars. They're based on a longer than usual scale length (27 inches), and although they're electrics, the focus has been on producing a lot of natural acoustic zing. There's both a 7 string and a 6 string model and assembly on the first 7 strings was completed this weekend.

There are still a few problems to work out in the electronics which should take a few days, but they were functional enough to do some recording tests yesterday and I love the results. For the first time, I've been able record a 7 string guitar without having to fight the low end.

Here are two short clips, about 60 seconds each. I just ran a line directly from my amp to my Tascam via an Audio Buddy pre. There's no EQ and no effect, so what you hear is what you get.

Pictures would NOT be spam

in my opinion.
Like POMS, I too would be interested in a pic.
It seems like you have made a breakthru with taming the low-end.
Congrats on that.
It reallt is a unique sounding guitar.
I wonder how it would do in a blues song?
Please post PICS SOON..................

Dan

damn...

...thats one sweetsounding guitar

where can i buy it?

....if only I could afford it now

Thanks all. It's been quite an adventure and to hear the low end under control with no tweaking at all was just the ultimate reward.

I'll post some more clips later including some blues and in the mean time here are the photos for those of you asking.

C002Body.JPG

C002BellyCut.JPG

C002NeckPocket.JPG

C002PegHead.JPG

c002rearroutecover.jpg

C002NeckPlate.JPG

Sperzels.JPG

I'm impressed. Did you start up your own business, or are they hand made (I really understand nothing of this kinda thing). Sounds really nice.... similar to a.... dunno, nice mellow guitar.

Jim,

A real nice tone over all form this.

I was hearing some pretty severe clipping distortion in spots and it might be because you were over loading the pre while tracking or just a really hot mp3 transfer?

The bottom end, as well, seemed a little over the top if other instruments were to be mixed in with this very pleasant sounding guitar you have presented to us.

Nice!

Cheers! :)

ps; Add me to list who want to see pictures!

Beautiful sounding guitar, and nice playing, but the low string is significantly out of tune... I'd redo them if I was going to use them for demonstration purposes on the website.

although they're electrics, the focus has been on producing a lot of natural acoustic zing

I'd have to say 'mission accomplished.' I heard some really nice acoustic string sounds in there - not your typical 'jazz guitar' sound. (Especially on the second cut)

What a project - I Tip my hat to you, sir.
Milan

...sweet sounding guit indeed Jim,
....nice warm and full, ...kind of a deep es335 ish kinda tone.

Nice work on the asthetics too. I noticed you went with a fakey binding ala PRS. ...hard to control that bleed idnt it;) :) . This is definitely a nice guit youve built here.

...hang around mimf much?
g

Swan 01 -
--------------
certainly a unique guitar sound, sounds a bit like an open body, but has a brighter high end.
bottom is a bit out of tune in spots. Great jazz pickin' !

Swan 02 -
--------------
Well, I hear a couple of jazz standards in that one, again, very nice guitar styling and jazzing, smooth, comfortable, confident, expressive playing and the guitar hosts this well, it's very well balanced. The walking bass line has a lot of seperation from the other sonic areas of the guitar and is never overbearing. You do get a few clips of distortion here and there.

Some comression at the appropriate places in the chain would be mahvelous.

That you accomplished this with an extremely hot signal and no compression is a compliment to your balanced and even muscular approach to playing in general, and the electronics you have developed for the guitar.

I've been working on the piece you did on the Kay, and some lyrics popped out, I've got two verses and a chorus, and I'm working the violin, viola and cello into the Verse-Instrumental and Chorus-Instrumental sections to support the lyrics and the underlying themes in the guitar. Yes, you hear right ... lyrics :D ... it's just a phase with me I'll probably grow out of it one day :D .

studioviols said:
Swan 01 -
--------------
certainly a unique guitar sound, sounds a bit like an open body, but has a brighter high end.
bottom is a bit out of tune in spots. Great jazz pickin' !

Swan 02 -
--------------
Well, I hear a couple of jazz standards in that one, again, very nice guitar styling and jazzing, smooth, comfortable, confident, expressive playing and the guitar hosts this well, it's very well balanced. The walking bass line has a lot of seperation from the other sonic areas of the guitar and is never overbearing. You do get a few clips of distortion here and there.

Some comression at the appropriate places in the chain would be mahvelous.

That you accomplished this with an extremely hot signal and no compression is a compliment to your balanced and even muscular approach to playing in general, and the electronics you have developed for the guitar.

I've been working on the piece you did on the Kay, and some lyrics popped out, I've got two verses and a chorus, and I'm working the violin, viola and cello into the Verse-Instrumental and Chorus-Instrumental sections to support the lyrics and the underlying themes in the guitar. Yes, you hear right ... lyrics :D ... it's just a phase with me I'll probably grow out of it one day :D .

That sounds really exciting. I can't wait to hear it.

Back