2 sessions with Sonar 3... so far, so good!

OzNimbus

Hey Gang, here's my inital asessment of Sonar 3 Producer edition.

I've just recently upgraded my computer to a P4 2.8 Ghz, 800mhz FSB, and 1 gig of ram. Sonar 3 arrived much to my surprise on Friday: I ordered it last Monday.... So hats off to CW for the quick delivery.

Anyway, installation was painless, and I was up & rocking in no time. Migrating 2.2 projects to version 3 went "ok." There were some issues with several EQ plugins bieng stuck to one side of the stereo image, but deleting the plugs & reloading them sorted that out.

There's alot of ground to cover here, so I'm trying real hard to remember everything.... I've been busy as hell in the studio for the last two days, as I've got 2 separate albums on the go by 2 different bands.

Interface: The coolest thing is the ability to customize just about everything. From metering styles to the console layout, you can pretty much set it up EXACTLY how you want it. Very cool. After about 10 minutes of muttering "where the fuck is this?" I got the hang of the new layout. I got rid of the "exploded fader view" in the main track layout, as well as the peak values, as I thought it took up a little too much screen space.
In the console view, you can explode/implode the sends/bussing section, which IMO, is great. You can also do a narrow/wide channel strip, for those projects that just keep adding tracks. Again, great feature.
You can view the per-channel EQ as a graph, as "data," you know, cut/boost, Q, and shelf/bell... or, you can double click the graph and bring up the main EQ window. BTW, it's the good old standby Ultrafunk EQ, at it's third revision, I think, so it's an extremely useful tool. You get 6 'bands' to play with. I think CPU cycles are only taken by which bands are active, (someone correct me if I'm wrong) so it's easy on the resources. Again, this is great, as you can have one on every channel you're working with.
The EQ itself is VERY useful. You get 6 shelves/bells, with all the usual tweakability. One cool thing I noticed, it's similar to the Waves Renniscance EQ in it's shelves.... That is, if you cut some low frequencies, the frequencies immediatley above the cut will be boosted slightly, depending on the Q setting. Sort of like an old Pultec. Again, this can be extremely useful for blockheads like me who refuse to use boosting EQ. (Go ask George Massenburg about that one. Best advice I've ever got in this game.)

Ok, so we've got a totally tweakable interface, and a great EQ on every channel. Howabout the new effects?
Well, the Lexicon really sounds like a Lexicon. Big & cheesey. If you're into that sort of verb, this plug will make you happy.
Myself, I'm not into reverbs that much, so I tend to stick with the Waves R verb or True verb on drums in my mixes, and that's about it for me.
The Ultrafunk suite, is fucking great. IMHO, this alone was worth the price of the upgrade. The compressor simply rocks. It's a freakin' chameleon. It has your standard "modern" pre-sets, as well as some excellent "vintage" simulations. The DBX 160 pre-set works wonders on toms, the 1176 for kick, snare, & bass guitar, and the LA2A has to be the smoothest software comp on vocals ever. You can smash the living shit out of a vocal and it just will not get sibilant. The LA2A setting also works great on room mics for drums.
This comp is an extremely powerful tool: You can set it for an "auto release" to avoid pumping effects, a 'variable knee' so you can get the perfect blend between modern and vintage compression, as well as a make up gain with a brickwall limiter/satuator on the output. It's very similar to the Waves' Ren compressor, but to be honest, I think it's more versatile.
As for the other effects, the reverb is pretty good, the phaser is great, as is the modulator. The gate is outstanding. You can set it to be frequency dependant. Wonderful for kick & toms. Especially with it's lookahead feature, not to mention a 0ms attack time that actually sounds good.
I can't say enough good things about the Ultrafunk plugs. It's a bloody shame that Sonditus went out of business, as they sure gave some higher priced plugin packages a serious run for their money. Cakewalk scored a brillaint coup by snatching these plugs..... Not to mention them grabbing Power Technologies' plugs a few years ago. NOBODY has made a better digital chorus. "FX Chorus" is still my favourite chorus plug to date.

Ok, so how does it work in a real tracking session?

Brilliantly! I've been doing vocals & guitars for 2 different band the last few days.... and Sonar3 has run absolutley great. With 2.2, I've had some problems with my Mackie Control locking up and refusing to unlock until a hard reboot. This is no longer an issue with Sonar3. I've recorded all 9 faders moving at extreme speeds and S3 hasn't so much as burped.... it's about time. One less thing to worry about.

Now I've used CW since pro audio 7. I run a Delta 1010 as my main I/O supplemented with a Delta 66 for extra inputs/headphone feeds, and an Apogee Rosetta as my "gold channel" running into the 1010's spdif input. In all my years running CW products, I've never used input monitoring. I've always used the Delta's control panel mixer, with it's zero latency monitoring. The only thing is, it's kind of a pain to cut live drums with, because you can never get the phones loud enough as the drums are so dynamic.
So I noticed this funny looking button next to the record enables in the track view. This is the "echo input" or "input monitor" enabling button. Well, knowing I had just upgraded my machine and had a shitload of RAM to spare, I thought, "what the hell."
I set my machine for a whopping 1.2 ms latency, and hit the enable. What do you know? It worked. It worked great.
In session, I was running a few songs with about 18 tracks going, and monitoring a live guitar input as well. The client couldn't tell the difference. The system would stall out once I started moving faders with the Mackie control... so I had to increase the latency to 2.9 ms. Again, the client couldn't tell.
So this got me thinking: S3 has all these crazy new bussing features... Why not set up some live inputs for dual mixes? One for the control room, and one on an AUX bus to feed my headphone amp? (An Alto, BTW. Cheap, clean, and melt-your ears off loud)
Now, remember I had problems getting the drummer's headphones loud enough... enter the Ultrafunk compressor on the AUX bus. I tested this out this morning. At 1.2 ms latency, with 4 mics using live input monitoring, with the compressor set up pretty aggressivley. Not only was it damn loud, I couldn't hear any noticeable delay. This is going to be a HUGE help the next time I track a drummer.

Overall, I'm very pleased with S3. I haven't had any serious problems with it yet, and I haven't even touched half it's
capabilities. I do metal bands, mostly, so I don't use Midi or Soft synths very much. I did try out that grand piano sample, and it was impressive. Hopefully I'll get to use it on a project one day.

I'll be sure and update this thread as I press on with my projects this week.

-0z-

OzNimbus.

From your review you seem to rate the new plug-ins as being on level with the very expensive Waves ones. Just to put things in perspective could you summarize your comparison and pick a winner ... sort of like they do in magazines. I would like to know from one who actually owns both.

Oznimbus,

Excellent review! I've been able to work with Sonar 3 a bit, but not nearly to the extent that you have. Still, I have come to many of the same conclusions that you have.

There is one apparent area of instability...I like to solo a track, loop a section, and go crazy experimenting with plugins. Eventually, the looping function, coupled with constant changes in effects parameters, seems to become too many calculations to handle. Taken to the extreme, Sonar crashes.
This is the only complaint I have so far, and it's certainly not the fault of the program. It's the result of my own constant "on-the-fly" tinkering.

It would be hard to imagine life without Sonar 3!

Terry Kingen

tkingen said:
Oznimbus,

Excellent review! I've been able to work with Sonar 3 a bit, but not nearly to the extent that you have. Still, I have come to many of the same conclusions that you have.

There is one apparent area of instability...I like to solo a track, loop a section, and go crazy experimenting with plugins. Eventually, the looping function, coupled with constant changes in effects parameters, seems to become too many calculations to handle. Taken to the extreme, Sonar crashes.
This is the only complaint I have so far, and it's certainly not the fault of the program. It's the result of my own constant "on-the-fly" tinkering.

It would be hard to imagine life without Sonar 3!

Terry Kingen
I too have experienced Sonar 3 crashing from working to get plug-in settings just right while the audio is running.

I'm a computer programmer by day (Ace recording engineer by night :) ), and I'm sorry, but I won't accept the blame for being able to crash any program. A hard crash is unacceptable. Come on Cakewalk guys. Fix it!

Oz, Have you noticed that if you use the record enable buttons on the Mackie Control while in Console View, that you can get the red record indicator to be ON in Console View and OFF in Track View for the same tracks? This can be down right embarrassing in front of a client.

How 'bout the cusor left and right buttons on the Mackie Control in Zoom mode? They don't window the Console View tracks left and right as they do in S2. Are you experiencing the same thing?

Cakewalk has sent me an email indicating the developers are working on an update for the Mackie Control interface. But they didn't confirm or deny the existance of bugs causing the problems I'm having. I'd just like to know whether others are experiencing the same things.

Oz... can you test these two things and reply?

Thanks,

_______
SteveD
www.5adayclub.net/music/

tombuur said:
OzNimbus.

From your review you seem to rate the new plug-ins as being on level with the very expensive Waves ones. Just to put things in perspective could you summarize your comparison and pick a winner ... sort of like they do in magazines. I would like to know from one who actually owns both.

Well, there is no clear winner. The best answer I can give you, is, "It depends." On a lot of things.
Like Wave's insane use of the PACE interlock... You know the copy protection scheme that penalizes legal owners for buying the product. They make it EXTREMELY difficult to get the plugs working right. There's a great thread on Craig Anderton's board about some nightmare scenarios with S3, hyperthreading, and the Pace interlock. Not good. Check it out at: http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=015569
One reason I keep coming back to Sonar is because of the lack of copy protection. I run a real, busy, working studio. I don't need some bullshit software to get in the way of me doing business. Cakewalk doesn't treat it's customers like criminals.... and for that reason, I'll continue to buy Cakewalk products.

I don't think there's a clear winner, each set has it's own strengths & weaknesses. But the Ultrafunk plugs come bundled with Sonar, and are incredibly cost effective. They give Waves a run for thier money in Compression & EQ. They blow the doors off of waves in Gating & Modulation effects. Waves, however, has the better Reverbs.

That's my 2 cents, anyway.

Thanks,
I too hate copy protection. It is very hard comitting yourself to serious work with a program that might not work in the future on your new computer or new OS because of copy protection schemes.

For the same reason I didn't feel to good about Windows XP when I decided to build my music pc on that. However, Microsoft has promised to issue a key to remove copy protection when XP is outdated. Some of you may upgrade to newer systems in the future. As for me I don't know. I might just stay with the hardware and software I have invested in for an XP based computer, rather than using more money and running into compatibility issues.

Ok, here's a little update for my review....

As per my rambling earlier, I was stating how great Live Input Monitoring was. Well, today I took it to the next level.
I started tracking a new group today, (Stoner Rock... I specialize in metal & it's subgenres) and I had a chance to try my "sub group headphone feed" theory. This included recording 10 tracks at the same time, all with live input monitoring enabled.

I was able to set up a mix for the control room, and then send a submix off to bus #1, which then went to my Delta 1010's audio 3&4 outputs into my headphone amp. Latency was 2.9 ms, because 1.2 ms wouldn't let me use my Mackie Control's faders. (again, this is while recording 10 tracks with live input enabled, so the computer was pretty busy... and extra 1.7 ms was a pretty good trade off)
Now the really cool thing was the fact that I was able to compress the kick, snare & overheads before I sent them off to the headphone amp. The result? Better tracks, and better played drums.
You see, headphones do strange things to drummers. Because the phones envelope the ear, they block the high frequencies in a room... namely the cymbals. So if the drummer can't hear the cymbals clearly in the phones, he'll subconciously try to make up for that in his playing... meaning he beats the living shit out of everything made of brass. Hihats played WAY too loud for rock, crashes hit just plain badly, and weak hits on the kick & snare.
Now, my headphone amp is really goddman loud. Melt your ears off loud. But I could still never get the phones loud enough in the drum room to actually hear the drums in the phones, because, drums are such a dynamic instrument. Sure, I could get the guitars seriously loud, but the drums never had any punch. Bring in the "compress and submix" method into the equation, and it's a different story.
Suddenly, because the drummer can actually hear what he's playing, (not to mention the other instrument's he's playing with) the tracks impove. The "feel" of his playing improves. He'll know how hard to hit.
I actually got quite a compliment... the guitar player said it was "The best headphone cue mix I'd ever heard." The drummer really liked it as well... and it showed in his playing.

The most gratifying thing, however, was how stellar the tracks turned out. For the first time EVER, I didn't have to EQ the snare. Or compress it for that matter. Ditto for the room mics. I just compressed the overheads a pinch (ultrafunk LA2A mode) and the sound just came alive.

It's amazing how well a band can play when they can hear themselves. BTW, I use an ALTO headphone amp... it's clean, loud as fuck, and dirt cheap... I got mine for $199 Canadian. If you don't have a decent headphone setup, I'd highly recommend it.

Oh yeah, Steve D: Yes, I have the same problem with the Record Buttons still being enabled in the consloe view and OFF in the tracks view. Someone at Cakewalk needs to be flogged over that one.

-0z-

OzNimbus said:
Ok, here's a little update for my review....

<snip>

Oh yeah, Steve D: Yes, I have the same problem with the Record Buttons still being enabled in the consloe view and OFF in the tracks view. Someone at Cakewalk needs to be flogged over that one.
Oz,

Thanks for the update.

I'm a drummer, and you are dead on with your perception of what happens to a drummer's playing when he can't hear his instrument in the cans... particularly the cymbals. So true! They stop playing and start banging.

I agree that some compression and eq can help during input monitoring. In the past, with Sonar 2, this was risky because you couldn't see the wave form as the track was being printed. All you had to go on was the level on the meters... which is altered when adding compression and eq to the monitored mix... at least it is during playback... not sure about while recording.

Anyway, now with confidence recording... you can see what is being printed, even if the levels are altered by a compressor and/or eq while monitoring. Very nice.

Also, Oz... thanks for answering one of my earlier questions.

It's good to know it's not me, or just my setup.

How 'bout the cusor left and right buttons on the Mackie Control in Zoom mode? They don't window the Console View tracks left and right as they do in S2.

You too?

_______
SteveD
www.5adayclub.net/music/

Oz,
I am not sure I can get that kind of latency with my Delta 66 on a 2.5 GHz XP system. Is your beloved 1010 better in that respect too, or should I be able to get the same with 66, albeit with a little more noise?

SteveD said:

I'm a drummer, and you are dead on with your perception of what happens to a drummer's playing when he can't hear his instrument in the cans... particularly the cymbals. So true! They stop playing and start banging.

How 'bout the cusor left and right buttons on the Mackie Control in Zoom mode? They don't window the Console View tracks left and right as they do in S2.

You too?

Question: Why do rock bands only take 10 minute breaks between encores?

Answer: Any longer, they'd have to re-train the drummer!

<evil grin> I love recording drums.... it's one thing that turns me into an obsessive over-analytical mic-movin' gearhead. For Metal, IMHO, the base of the whole thing is the drums. If they sound like shit, the whole mix will. Drums are the one thing you CAN'T fuck up. Sonar 3 just made recording a whole lot easier.

As for the cursor zoom mode console problem.... I haven't tried it yet... but I will. I didn't touch my Mackie Control for 6 months while my new studio was bieng built, so I'm slowly working it's functions back into my routine.

-0z-
www.spectresound.org

tombuur said:
Oz,
I am not sure I can get that kind of latency with my Delta 66 on a 2.5 GHz XP system. Is your beloved 1010 better in that respect too, or should I be able to get the same with 66, albeit with a little more noise?

Actually, I was running the 1010 and the 66 at the same latencies.... drums were on the 1010, and scratch guitars were on the 66. They all synced up wonderfully & monitored great.
Just make sure you have the latest WDM drivers, and crank the samples setting in the Delta Control Panel to 64. Then do a Wave Profiler in Sonar & ratchet down the latency. You should do fine.
Could you specify what "2.5 Ghz XP system" means? Is that an Athlon XP 2500+ chip? If so, clock speed is significantly lower than 2.5 ghz. And to be honest, I think that's really the key to my success with this venture. My clock is cranking out a real-world 2.8 ghz. There is a LOT of stuff going on, but the system is really quite stable. No wierd drop outs or pops in the audio stream as I'm recording. Hell, I only needed this set up 5 years ago.

-0z-

It's Intel Pentium-4 2.5 GHz on Asus board with Intel Chipset and Win XP Pro. That's what the local "expert" in the store selling soft- and hardware for music recording recommended last year. So I got that and didn't let the computer store salesman persuade me into anything else. Also I don't run any virus programs or such on this computer. I addition to programs for music it only has Word for songwriting and Internet Explorer to download updates, register etc. I deliberately don't surf with this PC.

Maybe I should wait trying to solve latency problems until I actually have Sonar 3. Still waiting for it.

I will only be recording one or maybe two tracks at the same time. What I need is a few realtime effects, like reverb on vocals during recording. But without recording the effect as such, so that it can be changed later as appropriate for the mix.

I have now tried your suggestions. It seems latency ends where I put the slider myself. Shouldn't "wave" optimize it for me?

Last edited:
tombuur said:
I am not sure I can get that kind of latency with my Delta 66 on a 2.5 GHz XP system.
I thought all Delta cards used the same driver, and with a 2.5 GHz P4 you should be able to run it stable at 1.5 ms (or at least 2.9 ms)... :)

Okay, just tried from my Internet computer which has a SB Audigy Platinum and lowest latency here is 10.0 ms as opposed to (as I remember) 1.5 ms on the music computer with Delta 66. So wave profiler just determines the lowes setting I can get, but it is up to me to decide how low I wish try and place the fader there?

tombuur said:
So wave profiler just determines the lowes setting I can get, but it is up to me to decide how low I wish try and place the fader there?
Basically yes.

As you know, you can set the DMA buffers in the Delta Control Panel. This is where you set the latency directly if using ASIO-drivers. Now, WDM takes it a step further, meaning based on the DMA buffers you've chosen, Sonar figures out the absolutely minimum latency your system can handle. And you can of course set it to a bit higher if you want...

Why Cakewalk have done it this way I don't know, but it makes it a bit confusing...

Tried today and it's drop out or crackle, crackle. Even with latencies above 50ms! This is not the appropriate thread for solving this. I will come back in about two weeks, when I have received Sonar 3 and have the time required. Then you guys help me solve the problem, and I will offer a reward in the form of a donation to Homerecording.com for a working solution.

Just wanted to add a little comment on editing with S3....

I used to hand-edit my tom tracks... You know, strip out all the noise between the toms playing. This would take ages, depending on the drummer and the number of tom fills.
The Ultrafunk gate has just made my life a whole lot easier. Because you can tune it to be frequency dependent, as well as have an instantaneous attack time, it's made my "edit by hand" method obsolete. I stayed away from gates on tom tracks because they'd always shear off the transient. Not any more. This is the first gate that sounds as good as when I'm doing it by hand. It's sped up my workflow, and I'm a happy man.

Time to raise my rates!

-0z-

Back