2 of 3

W.I.S.C.

10lbs.of sh*t in 5lb.BAG
Here's the next installment in the Dismkr project.The drums are weak cuz this was the first sequencing I ever did in fruity loops.This was an old idea that seemed to fit perfectly for this application.Words and vox done in 1.5 hours.The opening strings were done in fruityloops as well.No comments on the drum sound,but any and all mix comments are welcome and appretiated.
The song is Called:

Gentleman Thug

Lyrics will be posted by request only.Thanx again for your time and input.

Afterthought:I know my responses for the last thread I posted (The collab with Demensia) were non-existant,but I want to thank all who gave their comments and thoughts.I will follow up on some of the advice given by some of the greater players on this board.That song will be remixed when I get the time and if Demensia sends me a new rythm track mix.I've been having computer trouble lately and have been too busy to sort my head out.There's just so much going on here it's difficult to keep up.I value all the artists on this bbs and know that I can get the best kinda help here.Unbiased,unedited and unrestrained.You all Rock!!!:D

I really don't like this...

I don't know where to start.

The bass is good..

The changes really don't work for me.

Sorry...I don't usually dislike your stuff.

The string patch was pretty nice, it had a kinda canned sound though. I like the 2nd pad but the arrpagiation between them gets a little weird with the envelope being out of time with the arrpagiator. The eq could be a bit brighter to match it to the next part of tune. bass sounded good, jus a little too thin. I admire your use of FL to sequence the drums.

not sure if the orch intro is needed, but the rest of the tune is pretty cool. I thought it was 311 when the vocal first kicks in.

Guitars sound thick but muffled, can't hear the bass at all when the gits are playing. Good thing is that the kick can still be heard well. Snare might be a little too burried.

You might wanna try program those drums with more panning, this mix is pretty mono except for the rhy gits.

I hope this helps

Al

The string intro would be cool if it sounded more like real strings.

The vocal needs to be more present and up-front.

The whole mix is lacking clarity. The individual sounds aren't bad, but I think there's too many things fighting for the same freqs in the low mids.

I know if a mix sounds rolled off on my Altecs it's lacking highs.;)

I dig the tune!:)

Pretty cool, NU tune

Beginning rapping reminds me of Kid Rock, then the mellow part sounds like Nothing Face. I think some of the ideas were cool, but there was a spot after the upbeat intro that had a weird transition. I think this would go over great on the radio today if you addressed some of the issues in it. it is also a little unclear. I like the opening groove. And the drums don't sound that bad for being programmed. i actually didn;t think that they were bad at all for this type of thing. I also think it sounds good, but maybe a couple of the wierd change ups could be ommitted. Good, NU tune.

It does sound very 311ish.

The strings just didnt fit man. (I just bought a little yamaha keyboard so I'm about to have some fun too)

Nice drum sequencing! Im still digging the drum samples.. Your the drum programming master. And The bass is excellent when its the only thing playing. At parts it sounds like the vocals jump WAY out of the mix and then pop back into place. Right at "Almost as fun as watching women screaming"

Theres some harmonies that are off but for the most part they are all right on.

The background screaming at the end is perfect.

Pretty badass tune.

I thought it was ok...but I didn't like the vocals. That's what 'cheapened' the whole tune. Gtrs sounded good. Nice programming.

Hey wisc,
Cool tune man... I like this kinda stuff. I like your vocal phrasing ...clear and intensional. I think some of the vocs (like the 1st verse) could use a little compression to put them back in the mix a little. And somebody mentioned the guits being a touch muffled... I would agree w/ that. Theyre plenty big, just a touch woofy.... ...I cant help ya w/ that cause my heavy guits suck:( :) Very nice stuff man ....Strong and groovy
g

I liked the rhythm guitars. They sounded real powerful. Good drum programming. Some of the vocals I liked. The rap style lead vox I thought were good. The bass part and its tone were good.

I didn't care for the string intro. It didn't work for me. If you really want to keep it in, I'd certainly recommend shortening it. You can still get that dramatic change effect.

A personal thing, I didn't like the drum pattern changes. Just when I was getting settled in and enjoying something, I changed to something I didn't enjoy as much.

Some of the vocal performance was kind of loose. Some of the harmony parts had some sync issues. The "I feel agrivated" lines are a bit too soft to be heard.

Was there a little glitch when changing rhythm patterns at 3:44?

Some stuff not to like, but certainly a lot there to like as well.

too much of a ... thing

lots of stuff, some of it good. liked the guitars. drums were, well, all over the place. strings intro needs to go, just doesn't fit.

vocals: think you should pick a style and stick near it. these just seemed all over the place, stylistically speaking. Not bad, just all over the place.

too much of a ... thing

lots of stuff, some of it good. liked the guitars. drums were, well, all over the place. strings intro needs to go, just doesn't fit.

vocals: think you should pick a style and stick near it. these just seemed all over the place, stylistically speaking. Not bad, just all over the place.

too much of a ... thing

Jake-Thanx for your ear...and your honesty.

Toki-I need a midi controller really badly,but programming them was kinda fun.I'm still learning how to make the EQ work for me.Not sure what you meant by the arppegiator being outta time...?Thanx for the listen.

A1A2-It always sounds diff in the headphones.I have no monitors(other than my comp speakers) so the steroe sometimes seems brader than it actually is.I'll make a mental note about it and if it doesn't get stuck in the bong resin than I'll account for it next time.I hadn't thought about the 311 refrence until you said it.That's cool with me.not a huge fan but they have a sound worth stealing for a tune or two.Thanx for your advice...

M.Brane-EQ is still one great mystery for me.Some others on the forum have given me some great advice...I just gotta work out a system and then I'll get the whole frequency thing going.It would be nice if I could get to see the actual EQ mters as the song plays but I don't know of any programs that will allow me to view it.Glad you dug it,thanx.

Analytical Man-The changes didn't work for me a first either,but I wanted a dramatic tempo difference between the two parts.I'm trying to get away from the normal strait tempo that rock often plays out.I tried anyway.Like I said it was an old thing that was lying around waiting for me to do something with.Sometimes they work...other times...you know...Unclear as far as making out the lyrics or the mix itself?I have some definate EQ issues,I know.But if you want the lyrics posted let me know.Some of 'em are kinda silly. ;) Keep metal Alive!!!

Demensia-Just a prelude to a style I'm perfecting.Our next collab should feature much of the same type of vocal tidbits.But then again I might go off in an unspecified direction.And the strings were just an afterthought.They were there so I stuck it on the beginning.I wanted it to give the feeling of something refined but monotonus..then POW !In with riff!I tried that anyway..Oh,well.My out of tune-ness is becouse of my root canal.It was hurting so bad and when it wasn't hurting I was so doped up on vicodins that it seemed to swim thru my head.Also time is a factor.That was done in a small window of time all adlibbed and made up on the spot.Not many takes could be done so the best of what I had I put in(The throw aways were a real nightmare)

Mixy-The man of the hour,so to speak.A bit reserved for you as far as comments but I know why you wouldn't bother.Just happy you posted.With out you...none of this would be possible,Thanx.

Guernica-Still tweaking the J-Station sound.It gets really bassy sometimes.I need EQ class...Thanx for your time,bro.Yea and compression class after Eq class,too.:( :D

Triple M-The outro I wanted to be dramatic .Almost a pause,to really punch the ending riff into your head.After listening to it 1000 times it grew on me and it was all good.Like bad music on the radio that you can't get outta your head.Thanx for the listen,dude.

would be easier to show than explain, I wish we were together here. I typed a long deal explaining the 8 primary steps in an envelope and what happens when you combine 2 similar envelopes but with the attack occuring at some different times in the envelopes. It kinda creates a new oscillation. It was too long so I erased it. I thought of a better way to maybe explain it. 2 guitars playing very similar parts within 2 octaves of each other. Both have stereo chorus set approximately the same, as long as the attack on either guitar is at the same time or the 2nd is evenly between evenly between the notes on the first the choruses will blend, if that timing is off the choruses will begin to separate and on each beat will get closer together until they match and then start drifting apart in time. Kinda weird stuff huh? maybe I shouldnt be smoking mom`s tomato plants. :)

mix issue's have been well taken care of(like i could hear them anyway!):rolleyes:

cool jam! i dig it, really! very 311'ish rapping! LIKE IT! changes are to cool for school!

and yes.....i bumped this thread from the dead!!!!!!

SO FUCKIN WHAT!:D

ignore me, i'm just glad to be back!!!!!

WISCINFANTASTALLCALLISHISH

Thank'
s, wisc!

Peace

Rick

No,no,Rick...thank you 'oh mighty ressurector of my dead thread.You crack me up dude.Do you have your own language?

WISCINFANTASTALLCALLISHISH is my kinda word!!!

AMNDAY AIGHTSTRAY!!!!!

gizzood tozoo sezee you brizzleo!!!!!!!!:D

end transmission..............................................

Back